Head bolt re-torque question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head bolt re-torque question?

When you guys re-torque your head bolts do you loosen all the bolts first and than torque or
    just loosen and torque one at a time?

Originally posted by beby99
    When you guys re-torque your head bolts do you loosen all the bolts first and than torque or
    just loosen and torque one at a time?

I don't loosen them at all, I just check that they are up to spec a thousand or so kms after putting the head on.

Kim

Comment

I presume this query is about a newly-installed head.

You do NOT loosen all the bolts as that would almost certainly render the seal of the head gasket void, and require a new head gasket.

Presuming the bolts were done correctly.....with oil on the threads... you do not need to loosen anything, just follow the tightening pattern and torque to proper specifications.

If you are speaking of tightening up an older head because of oil seepage, it becomes arguable. Straight tightening might work, and is worth a try, but better results would come from removing one bolt, cleaning all threads, oiling them, then re-installing and torquing it correctly, before touching any other bolt.

The oil or another non-sealing lubricant is needed to ensure accurate torque readings.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
        If you are speaking of tightening up an older head because of oil seepage, it becomes arguable. Straight tightening might work, and is worth a try, but better results would come from removing one bolt, cleaning all threads, oiling them, then re-installing and torquing it correctly, before touching any other bolt.

The oil or another non-sealing lubricant is needed to ensure accurate torque readings.
        Thanks Ron...thats what I'm looking for.

Comment

A word of caution about oiling head bolts.

Sometimes the oil can cause a hydraulic jam when tightening the bolt. This happens when the oil fills the space beneath the bolt and you force the bolt onto it without getting it fully tightened. It is a similar effect as having the bolt hit the bottom of the hole before it has tightened down the head properly.

You do not need to squirt oil in the hole, a light smear on the bolt is all that is required. Clean the hole with a blow through a plastic tube before inserting the bolt. (Take care that nothing blows up into your eyes)

Kim

Comment

I get ya Kim...thanks

Comment

Working...
            X