Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Can't find Electrex replacement stator!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Can't find Electrex replacement stator!!

Any suggestions on where to order a stator for my 1983 gs1100L? Electrex and Dennis Kirk have none in stock. Wait time 2-4 weeks! Any equally good replacements from other sources?
    If I maintain the battery, can I ride the bike with a blown stator?
    Scott

Scott, a 2 to 4 week wait ain't that bad. I too will be replacing my RR and Stator this winter. TO answer your question, yes, you can run your bike with a blown Stator, but be aware that if your Rectifier is good, running it with a faulty stator may damage it too, so be careful. Both are shot on my bike so doesn't matter. I have run my bike all summer by just recharging the battery.
    GY

Comment

Check to see if Electrex Canada has your part.

Steve

Comment

If you don't mind an used one or need it faster try a search on e-bay motors. Lucky for you a bunch of other bikes use the same G2 (electrex part number). Mine only shares with two others. Anyway.
        XN85 TURBO 1983 ONLY
        GS750ES/ESD/EF 1983-1985
        GS1000E/H/S/L/G 8-valve 1978-1984
        GS1100E/EZ/L (16-valve) 1980-1983
        GS1100ES/EF (GS1150) 1984-1986
        GS1100G 1981-1983
        Kawi :roll:
        KZ400/ 440LTD 1979-1983 KZ400H, KZ440 G2/11
        KZ550 GPZ/ UNITRAK 1982-1984
        ZR550 ZEPHYR 1990-1991
        KZ550LTD 1980-1984
        KZ750 GPZ (twin shocks) 1982 ONLY KZ750R G2/3
        ZR750 ZEPHYR 1991 ONLY ZR750C G1/2
        ZR1100 ZEPHYR 1993 ONLY ZRT10A G2/4

Good hunting

Comment

Help! Can't find Electrex Replacement Stator

Steve,
          Thanks for the Electrex Canada idea.....I think Electrex USA tried them as they did make an effort to find one for me (but to no avail)
          Jakeydiem,
          Thanks for taking the time to list the various bikes that could be donors for my bike......I've decided to pop with the big bucks for a new unit, rather than take a chance on a used unit......tho it sounds like if it was a used Electrex, the chances would probably be small that it would fail.
          I placed the order for the stator today and now its just a matter of time :?
          Scott

Comment

If you want to ride it until you get the new parts. Disconnect the wires from the stator

Comment

Help! Can't Find Electrex Stator Replacement

I *do* want to ride it. So, if I disconnect the stator wires, it would then be a matter of keeping the battery charged up. Any problems with keeping a battery tender on the bike with the battery left in the bike? Should I connect the battery charger's red clip to the positive, and the charger's black clip to the battery's negative post, or, some other ground somewhere on the bike? Or do I have to remove the battery from the bike to charge it?
              Scott

Comment

Help! Can't find Electrex Stator Replacement

Forgot to ask in me last post. Since the stator would be disconnected, there should be no harm in riding the bike after removing the dead regulator as well, right?
                Scott

Comment

I don't see any problem, disconnect RR and stator, don't leave any bare wires hanging tape them up. and just keep the battery charged, You don,t have to remove the battery. But I would not ride anywhere at night.

Comment

Help! Can't Find Replacement Electrex Stator

I have a 50 mile commute to work that starts in the daylight, and ends after nightfall. Will I be able to get the bike started? Will the battery have enough juice left to fire things up after the 25 mile ride there? And, it sounds like you're saying the battery won't have the chops to properly power the headlight for ride home?
                    Scott

Comment

Re: Help! Can't Find Replacement Electrex Stator

Originally posted by slstamper
                      I have a 50 mile commute to work that starts in the daylight, and ends after nightfall. Will I be able to get the bike started? Will the battery have enough juice left to fire things up after the 25 mile ride there? And, it sounds like you're saying the battery won't have the chops to properly power the headlight for ride home?
                      Scott
                      Hard to say about that, as much depends on the condition of your battery.

When I got my GS1100G the regulator was dead and the stator not far behind (although I didn't know it) but the seller had freshly charged the battery. I drove it home...about 40 miles ...and also started it several times along the way as it would not idle, and stalled at traffic lights. My headlight is on all the time.

Based on that experience, you should have no problem, but why not find out on a non-work day? Take it out for a drive and see what happens....just be sure to take a cell phone with you and have someone available with a set of jumper cables in case they are needed....the cables will not only let you start your bike, they will also allow your battery to be charged for a few minutes, and that's likely all you will need as you would be on your return leg, and close to home, before any problem developed.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                      X