1982 Gs1100gl Fuel Prob??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs1100gl Fuel Prob??

I RECENTLY INSTALLED SET OF USED CARBS OFF OF A 1980 GS1100 E ONTO MY 82 GS1100 RUNNING WITH NO AIR FILTER THE ENGINE BOGS SEVERLY THE TWO IDLE FUEL MIX SCREWS ON CARBS 2 & 3 WONT BUDGE. ENGINE SEEMS TO PICK UP WHEN I HOLD MY HAND OVER THE MOUTH OF THE CARBS IT ACTS LIKE IT NOT GETTING ANY FUEL IS THIS A SIPHONING PROBLEM ??
    [-o<

The bike will never run anywhere near good without the air filters in place. They draw fuel from the vacuum created between the carbs and filters. The less vacuum there is, the less fuel it pulls. With no filter, they usually won't run at all.

Comment

Balance the carbs

You have to have the airbox installed or individual air pods on the carbs, if you have pods the carbs had to have been re jetted otherwise it will run very lean compared to the airbox. once you have the aircleaner installed I would strongly recommend balancing the carbs with a mercury balancer.
      I had a guy in Texas rebuild my carbs that did an awesome job, as a matter of fact i just balanced my carbs today, it was a little hesitant but now it is perfect, i had to make small adjustments on 1, 2, & 4 carbs since #3 has no adjustment the others need to be balanced to #3. Also once the aircleaner is installed you can try spraying carb cleaner around the intake boots between the carb and engine block, if there are any air leaks from bad o-rings on the carb boots the engine will surge when it sucks in carb cleaner indicating it is drawing in air too. I would strongly recommend balancing them with a mercury tool. It is almost impossible to balance them properly without that tool. I think Z1 enterprises has one for about $45.
      Good Luck Bill

Comment

Bill, The balance info you used to balance your carburetors isn't quite the way I would state it... FIRST you balance 1&2 so that their mercury levels are the same. Then you balance 3&4 to each other so that they are they same level. Then you balance 1/2 and 3/4 by using the center adjuster screw. It REALLY helps to have the proper carb tool which is essentially a flat blade screwdriver inside an 8mm socket on a long long handle. I think they are made by Motion Pro... I have had mine for many years but this tool allows you to tighten the lock nuts while holding the screw in place so adjustment doesn't change while you tighten the nut.

While I always bench sync carbs, it is NOT nearly as accurate as using a manometer but will allow the bike to start. Another secret of bench sync is to turn the idle set knob so that the slides open a tad then use the sync screws to almost close them while getting them all open the same amount. This puts the idle in the middle of the sync screw adjustment range and allows you to sync and then turn the idle UP or DOWN (in rpm). If you sync the carbs without turning in the idle adjust knob, the idle will be on the edge of the sync adjustment and if you get the sync set, you may not be able to turn the idle down to where it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by BRycraft
          You have to have the airbox installed or individual air pods on the carbs, if you have pods the carbs had to have been re jetted otherwise it will run very lean compared to the airbox. once you have the aircleaner installed I would strongly recommend balancing the carbs with a mercury balancer.
          I had a guy in Texas rebuild my carbs that did an awesome job, as a matter of fact i just balanced my carbs today, it was a little hesitant but now it is perfect, i had to make small adjustments on 1, 2, & 4 carbs since #3 has no adjustment the others need to be balanced to #3. Also once the aircleaner is installed you can try spraying carb cleaner around the intake boots between the carb and engine block, if there are any air leaks from bad o-rings on the carb boots the engine will surge when it sucks in carb cleaner indicating it is drawing in air too. I would strongly recommend balancing them with a mercury tool. It is almost impossible to balance them properly without that tool. I think Z1 enterprises has one for about $45.
          Good Luck Bill
          WELL I PUT A SET OF K&N FILTERS ON LAST NIGHT AND SCREWED THE AIR FUEL MIX SCREWS ON CARBS 1 & 4 TO SEAT AND SET THEM OUT AT 1 1/2 ROUNDS NOW ENG SEEMS TO REV UP BUT STILL BACKFIRES AND SEEMS TO LAG ON ACCEL. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

Comment

Working...
          X