Don't overlook the obvious!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't overlook the obvious!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i got back to work on my bike. I must have stared @ it for hours. I could not get the bike to run for %*&#. Then I realized the guy i bought it from had worm gear clamps on the k&n pods and carbs, but they were not sealing properly, I went and purchased the original clamps that fit the rubber intake boots and wala throttle is right there. But I am still getting an irattic idle. The bike is a 1980 gs1100l that I bought in a basket. I went through the carbs, installed a jet kit I'm wondering if I may have the throttle cable a little to snug. In another post I talked about the mixture screws being hit by a drill bit from the previous owner, I managed to get the screws to move and have them set @ 1and 3/4 turns out. Thanks for the help, this is by far the only sight to ask for the right advice.:

DId you actually take the mixture screws out & examine the point end ???
    If someone hit the screw with a dril it could have broken the tip

Comment

no I could not get two of them out. The other two were ok.

Comment

Gs 1100lt

Hey, you have my bike! What jet kit did you use? Do you have stock aehaust? Are your K&Ns cleaned and oiled? You really need to get those mixture screws out and check the o-rings and tips. If you can't get them out and before you destroy your carbs take them to a machine shop and have them removed. Also, did you check compression? I know all bikes are different but I can help get you in the ballpark with this info.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I used a dyno jet kit , I have a new v&h 4-1 megaphone, k&n pods all oiled up. According to the previous owner he had put all new o rings on the carbs. But when he was tuning the bike that is when he butchered the screws. Compression was all in the 135 range. Thanks for the help I thought i had leprocy, when i posted before i never got any responses. This is my second 80 1100l, first one a friend hit a parked car with it and totaled it out. The motor is still around running in a midget car on the local dirt tracks.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2006, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I have 4-1 kerker pipes with the K&Ns also. I'm running the the stage 3 dynojet kit. 132 mains; 47.5 pilot jets; 180 pilot air jets; jet needle fifth notch down: K&L rebuild ket and a o-ring kit from here. I destroyed one carb body trying to get the pilot air screw out but bought a rack from a guy in the wanted parts section.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Kerker header

Several have mentioned the Kerker pipes in this thread. I just wanted to share my experience. I hated the sound from the meg. I purchased a 3A Racing muffler ($131) and it mated right up to the header. The sound is much better. Very low note but not loud.

Comment

Working...
              X