No announcement yet.

One wet cyclinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice....gonna go with something cheap right now while i hunt down an electrical gremlin now.....I'll keep you all posted on progress.

Comment

Yellow..important that you do a compression test on that engine. Whenever you have a gas foul situation like that it can and will wash ALL the lubrication off of the cylinder walls. This can trash the rings in that cylinder real fast. Good luck, Terry.
      1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars
        Yellow..important that you do a compression test on that engine. Whenever you have a gas foul situation like that it can and will wash ALL the lubrication off of the cylinder walls. This can trash the rings in that cylinder real fast. Good luck, Terry.
        Thanks for the tip. Can I put a little oil in thru spark plug hole? If I do have low compression, what are my options? Thanks again.

Comment

Petcock

So I had the day off yesterday and I am broke - Bad combo 'cause I stay around the house and look for projects. I took the petcock out and went over with fine tooth comb - not that there is a lot to go over. Got here to work. Did two things.

1. Filed off that little tab on the petcock so I can actually turn off the fuel flow now.

2. Stretched spring on the vacuum side.

Both things work. No more leaky petcock, but if she does ever leak I can just turn her off.

Later-andy

Comment

Vacuum test on petcock

Hi, this inquiry is in reference to arveejay's 5-6-06 post, the tests for petcock vacuum. I am having issues similar to the ones that appear in this thread, so I'm performing some tests.

When I suck on the vacuum line, fuel pours freely out the other nipple. That seems good.

However, when I apply the other test arveejay mentions--that of sucking the vacuum hose to my tongue to see if it will 'stick'--well, no dice. It won't hold the suction.

So with these results, mixed though they are, can I conclude that I do indeed have petcock issues?

(I really am happy there's a 'search' feature in this forum! Thanks, guys!)

Thanks in advance for any advice,
            Kevin
            GS750B

Comment

I'd say try replacing the simple and cheap part first... the vacuum line. Get something with the same interior diameter from your local auto parts store...

Comment

Originally posted by dark30
                Hi, this inquiry is in reference to arveejay's 5-6-06 post, the tests for petcock vacuum. I am having issues similar to the ones that appear in this thread, so I'm performing some tests.

When I suck on the vacuum line, fuel pours freely out the other nipple. That seems good.

However, when I apply the other test arveejay mentions--that of sucking the vacuum hose to my tongue to see if it will 'stick'--well, no dice. It won't hold the suction.

So with these results, mixed though they are, can I conclude that I do indeed have petcock issues?

(I really am happy there's a 'search' feature in this forum! Thanks, guys!)

Thanks in advance for any advice,
                Kevin
                GS750B

If the vacuum line won't hold a vacuum to your tongue or baster or whatever your using, there is a leak at the diaphram in the petcock. Eventually it will flow gas thru that hose and directly into cylinder number 2 or it will get to the point that it won't shut the gas off. Best bet is to bite the bullet and get a new petcock from www.bikebandit.com Original equipment is the only way to go in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks, arveejay, for your confirming input. I'll get an order in right away. Cheers!

Comment

For many GS petcocks, you can buy a rebuild kit, which includes a new diaphragm. But really, test the hose first (take it off the bike, plug up one end, suck on it and see if it leaks).

Comment

Sorry, Joel, I should have mentioned that I did test the hose. It's solid, no leaks. Thanks for directing me to do that before I dumped some money on a new petcock or a repair kit.

Comment

I've rebuilt three with no issues whatsoever. I got my kits through Cycle Re-Cycle.

Comment

Working...
                        X