How to remove oil sight glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove oil sight glass?

I am getting ready to polish the clutch cover on my '82 GS850GL and couldn't tell how to get the oil level sight out. This is a spare cover and the sight is pretty gummed.

Also, how does the clutch release lever come out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I was changing the plates of my 750 a while ago I took the cover, laid it face down and sprayed some WD40 on the sight glass and let it sit for a little while and then cleaned of the muck with a couple of q-tips. Worked very well I didn't see any way to take of the glass easily without screwing something up.

Comment

The q-tip and wd-40 did a good job for me too. DO NOT take eye glass out ,you may not get it back in, or it will leak.They may not sell it anymore if you damage it.(it's discontinued on my '79 GS1000EN) When I had my case polished,I masked it with 3 layers of masking tape, to stop the buffer from scuffing rubber or glass. Sometimes tape will stick to rubber after the heat of a buffing wheel has been near it, if so, just pick up small edge of tape with a toothpick and spray some wd into/under tape to make removal easier, then you won't damage the rubber if it's getting old. I did not take out clutch arm either, just masked off the rubber seal and several wraps to protect splines. A good polisher won't have any problem working around tape. KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        The q-tip and wd-40 did a good job for me too. KK.
        I guess great minds think alike then eh???

Comment

Thanks for the input, but I already tried cleaning it in the cover and am not satisfied. I tried several cleaners and mineral spirits and still have a layer of varnish on the lens. It looks like the stuff that gets baked onto the window of an old oven.

I am told that replacemnts are still available, but I don't really want to order a new one until I have removed the old one and examined it.

If anyone knows how it comes out (threaded, pressed in, etc.) I would greatly appreciate the info.

Comment

They are pressed in. I busted a clutch basket once and the flying parts busted the sight glass out. I didn't know how to replace it so I ordered one, and when I got it, it wasn't any problem to figure how to install it. Sorry I don't remember exactly how it went, but I'm sure it was no problem. Go ahead and get one first, I think by looking at the new one you will see how to push the old one out, and the new one in. For sure no special tools nor presses needed.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. It didn't look threaded, but I didn't want to press it and find out I was wrong. Common sense is starting to get the better of me.

Comment

Originally posted by G man
                Thanks for the input, but I already tried cleaning it in the cover and am not satisfied. I tried several cleaners and mineral spirits and still have a layer of varnish on the lens. It looks like the stuff that gets baked onto the window of an old oven.
                Have you tried oven cleaner?

Comment

Dan:

I was thinking about it, but was concerned about what it would do to the rubber portion. Do you think it would be safe?

Comment

Originally posted by G man
                    Dan:

I was thinking about it, but was concerned about what it would do to the rubber portion. Do you think it would be safe?
                    Don't know. The label on the cleaner should list precautions on using the product. My gut feeling is that it would probably be ok, but.....some checking would be in order.

Comment

I'd use the WD40.

If I'm not mistaken, the clutch lever can be pulled out, when the cover is off the engine. No clips or bolts that hold it. Make sure to use a little bit of grease when you put the lever back in place. This will prevent any damaging of the oil seal.

Comment

Thanks. I couldn't find anything holding the clutch lever in, but you never know. I figured on replacing the oil seal while I am at it so if I damage the old one there will be no harm done.

WD-40 didnt do much when I tried it earlier this week. Neither did mineral spirits, Simple Green, or tar remover. This stuff is incredibly stubborn. I'll also have to pick up a can of Easy-Off this weekend and give it a try on the glass.

Comment

Working...
                        X