77 GS750 w/CV carb - need longer throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS750 w/CV carb - need longer throttle cable

Guys, I tried looking around for this answer here, but I couldn't find anything.

I've recently installed a new 750 motor w/a 850 Wiseco kit and the PO has also installed CV carbs using nice adapter plates (custom, I think). \\/

The problem is that when I attach the throttle cable to the carbs, it's always pulling a little and it won't rest to idle (and that's even with both adjustments maxed out). I've tried to reroute the cable, but it didn't help enough.

Any other ideas?

If not, I suppose I'll need to get a longer cable. Is this just a straight swap? I mean, can I just go to a shop and ask for a 1-2" longer cable?

Many thanks in advance! :-D
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2006, 09:39 AM.

How about GS650 cables? Will those connect to my throttle grip properly?

Comment

Since you didn't bother mention which type carbs you had, it makes answering a bit more difficult. Even on Mikuni BS series carbs, the bracket that holes the cable end sits on the carbs at a different distance from the throttle butterfly. Measure how far it is from the bottom of the cable holding bracket to where you stick the cable end in the carburetor throttle butterfly. That is the first number you will need. Then, measure the overall length of the cable if it is correct. That is the second thing you will need to know. Last is whether the cable end at the switchgear has threads for screwing into the switchgear or just fits into the switchgear. Once you know these three things, call www.z1enterprises.com and talk to the owner, Jeff. Tell him I sent you and describe the cable you need. He can either match you as he has a wide variety of Mikuni BS series cables or can get one custom made. Custom is a bit more but sometimes necessary if carbs have been adapter. I bet he has something in stock that will work fine. You want to see slack in your cable... LAST... look at your current cable and up by the right switchgear there is a barrel adjuster and locknut. Loosen the locknut and turn the barrel in towards you as far as it can go. If the cable screws into the switchgear, take it off the carburetors for a minute and screw the cable out as far as it will go and where you can still get the 14mm locknut tightened. This will give you just a bit more cable for adjustment.

Comment

Thanks wiredgeorge... I did say that I have CV carbs? Is that not enough information? I'm not sure what other details there are. I'm used to my old VM carbs. Either way, thank you.

I think what I will do in the meantime is go to a salvage shop and bring my cable down. I only need 1-2 more inches of slack. The cable is long enough.

Thanks again.

Comment

They may have put an 850 top end on your 750 Try a cable from a 80GS850

Comment

Cables for the GS-L models (step-seat cruiser with buckhorn bars) are longer than the E or G models...

Comment

Thanks guys...

I went to my local salvage shop and I found the perfect replacement. It looks exactly the same except it's a tad longer. It's was only 5 bucks, too!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                They may have put an 850 top end on your 750 Try a cable from a 80GS850
                AFAIK, it's still a 750 head. I think it's because of the CV adapter plates (makes the carbs stick out further) and that the CV carbs have a different cable mounting position.

Comment

Working...
                X