Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage and Shifting/Trans stuff

Good Eve all
    I have a 81 GS1100E 4-1 Kerker w/just over 20K. Let me first say you guys have been a god send over the last year since I found this bike for $600 sitting on the side of some mans house for 2 yrs. After I cut the weeds out from under it, a new battery, new OEM main jets, fuses, and a cpl of weekends of TLC and shes turning out to be my old dream come to life. Anyway, let me ask now that I have finally registered.

Approx what mileage and where should I be looking for things to start "going".

I was on my way to work when I lost my shifter function. I was accelerating shifted out of first, my shift lever went 45 degrees straight up and I was stuck in first. Got home and checked it out. I had no contact with any linkage or gears from my shift lever for approx 50 degrees and it was moving freely. I read the old forums and cringed at the thought of pulling that monster to get to the trans. My wife begged me to check it again "to see if it was something simple". I went and fudged with it for about .5 hr. Low and behold I pulled on it laterally and then wiggled it... bam she popped back into place and has been working fine since. I did replace the shift lever with the right one (diameter and splines) last night as it was the wrong one to begin with. I also added a flat washer next to the lever to remove the possibility of the shaft slipping in again. ? Does any one have any ideas or herad of this before? How about whether or not my actions were futile, and something bad is about to happen? It seems to be riding fine, I am just a bit scetchy on Trans issues. Thanks heaps guys.

My yamaha has 31K on it and everything is original for the drivetrain.

Can I ask if there is a bolt that you tighten to clamp the shifter on with. Most have a grove on the shaft that this bolt sits in that will not allow it to slide over even if it is loose. I don't hink you have any trans issues. You should get many more miles out of it.

Allen

Comment

Yes the shifter has a set screw lining up on the shaft. I did notice about a 1/8in space of play between the inner edge of the lever and the case. Thats where I put the the flatwasher to eliminate any lateral slips.

Comment

I just had the same thing happen to me. If you take off the shift lever and then the sprocket cover, you will see a clip on the shift shaft up against a washer. Right behind the washer is the oil seal. This clip prevents the shaft from moving in and disengaging the shift quadrant from the pawl holder. This clip must have slipped out of the groove or has come off altogether.

Comment

Thank you very much\\/ , Ill check it tomorrow night and let you know.

Comment

Working...
          X