Frustrated - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated - Help!

2 months of work, the 850 is still down, and Im about at my wits end.
    Here's the symptoms as I see them, but if you can think of something I'm about ready to try anything.

We rebuilt the carbs. They're spotless clean with 115 mains and 180 air jets. The carbs are podded (previous owner...) if that helps. Diaphragms are all firmly seated, and everything looks good as far as I can tell.

I dissolved a good bit of a bad Kreme job out of the tank and flushed quite a lot of crap out with Berrymans B12. The petcock filter looks clean, but gas is still coming out slower than I think it should. Might be part of the problem?

The bike will grumble a little when the button is pressed, but not actually start without choke. Give it choke and she roars to life. After a bit at full choke, white smoke starts coming out the pipes and the engine gets really warm. Let off the choke and it dies. Restart with choke and it idles fine, give it gas for a while and it seems to run fine. After a certain point though, it sounds like its bogging down and dying, even with choke.

Anyway, any ideas would be great. I'm more than happy to give more thorough descriptions if itll help.

Thanks,

How many turns out are your pilot mixture and air screws?

Comment

Well, I adjusted the idle screw and got it idling without choke at about 1500 rpm, which is a definate improvement. She's running rich at this point, and bogs down at any throttle.

I'll double check the air screws here in a second...

Comment

Air screws are at ~ 1 and 3/4 turns. It idles out at around 1000 rpm, and will take maybe 1/8 throttle to ~3000 rpm, then bogs down.

Comment

Did you put the airbox back on? It won't run for beans without it. Float levels adjusted? Are you sure?
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I bought it with pods already on it, no stock airbox. The float heights are adjusted by the book.

Comment

Its tough without the stock airbox. Without a sealed stock airbox an 850 will barely run at all with stock jetting as posted above (I'm not sure if your jets are stock or not). You air screws are right. Seriously....unless you want to get into the work of re-jetting, resetting your needles and all of that, the stock airbox is the way to go.

Comment

pods on an 82 gs850? too much like grief for me, find an air box (there are lots of them on e-bay) make sure the side seals are in good shape or replace them, and that the the air filter is in place also, and put it on.
                there is and air box for a 850g and a 850gl model be careful.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yeah, theyre seeming like too much grief for me too. I'll check the salvage shop up the road tomorrow and see if theyve got one lying around.

How would that cause the engine to bog down above 1/8 throttle though? Or do I have something else set wrong somewhere that I'm forgetting to check?

Comment

just ajust your needles and get some jets. Leave the pods they make a difference in performence. Ask keith krause about the jets and needle positions, he can help you out. Maybe a dyno jet kit.

Comment

Before I go chasing after a stock airbox, does anyone have any advice as to what jet sizes to use on a podded 850g?

Comment

You should probably buy a stage 3 kit from one of the big distributors DennisKirk, Bike Bandit, Old Bike Barn, etc. the kit is designed for mildly modified intake/exhaust systems... I'm not sure of the jet sizes off hand though.

Comment

I'm not sure from your description, but if you were to ride the bike for 10 minutes (with whatever choke was needed), would it then idle and run OK with no choke?

The choke is meant to be used to both start the engine and keep it running until the bike is warmed up. Not necessarily you, but I think some people have the misconception that the choke should only be used to start the bike and that it should be turned off immeditately once started.

Comment

At this point, I wouldnt be able to ride the bike for 10 minutes. Last night I got it to the point where it would warm up, start without choke, and idle fairly well. Once you get on the throttle though, it bogs down. Seems to be about 1/8 throttle. Also, the bike is getting pretty hot, which I take to mean its running lean.

When I bought the bike, the PO knew less about it than I do. He had the carbs off a 750 (I think...) on it with pods, and it wasnt running worth squat. I replaced the carbs with the correct ones, and the symptoms I'm getting now seem to be a result of those pods. I figure my options now are to buy an airbox or rejet the carbs, but I dont know what to rejet them to...

Comment

Originally posted by Grif
                              We rebuilt the carbs. They're spotless clean with 115 mains and 180 air jets. The carbs are podded (previous owner...) if that helps. Diaphragms are all firmly seated, and everything looks good as far as I can tell.
                              Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

PILOT 40
                              MAIN 115
                              PILOT AIR 180

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                              Last edited by rustybronco; 05-04-2006, 01:27 PM.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X