1908 GS850G Engine Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1908 GS850G Engine Oil Leak

I'm new to the GS crowd with a bike purchased last year. The bike is in perfect shape and I totally love it, but noticed some oil coating the left side behind the engine and some oil in the cooling fins of the engine. I've read some of the discussions, and it appears oil leaks are fairly common. Went to the local shop in Anchorage AK and they want 2.5 hrs to look at it and about 10 hours to fix a head gasket. That would be about as much as I payed for the bike.

How tricky is it to replace. I'm going to start by getting a manual, but am a little nervi about taking the engine apart????

Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2006, 10:27 PM. Reason: typo'd the year

Additional info

I cleaned the engine off and rode the bike today. I did not see any new oil. Can these problems be intermitent?

Comment

Originally posted by kdchart
      I'm new to the GS crowd with a bike purchased last year. The bike is in perfect shape and I totally love it, but noticed some oil coating the left side behind the engine and some oil in the cooling fins of the engine. I've read some of the discussions, and it appears oil leaks are fairly common. Went to the local shop in Anchorage AK and they want 2.5 hrs to look at it and about 10 hours to fix a head gasket. That would be about as much as I payed for the bike.

How tricky is it to replace. I'm going to start by getting a manual, but am a little nervi about taking the engine apart????

First off, You Might want to Edit Your Title to read 1980. I have One Myself and it Has a Small Leak like You Described on the Left Side. I Re Torqued the Head Bolts and it Almost Stopped Completely. Certainly not enough of a Problem to do a Teardown. If I were in Alaska, I wouldn't want to Miss Any of the Riding Season if it Was Avoidable. Good Luck. If You Do Have to do a Replacement, There are Lots of Knowledgable Folks here that can Talk You Through it.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Did not realize there was a 1908 model....

First thing is to re-torque the head bolts and see what that does.

Scud

Comment

Fixed the bike year - Thanks

Thanks - I need to get a manual to look at the specs.

Comment

Working...
          X