gear indicator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear indicator problems

I have a 1983 gs750e and I used a lawnmower starter solenoid relay to replace the original because it was toast. Anyways I put it on and now my gear indicator is not working at all and the starter button still is not working but I think the starter button might not be working now because the gear indicator won't let it read into nuetral. I can get it to read 1 and 2 gear but only if I put it in that gear and roll the bike forward and backward then they will come on. But shortly after they will not work again. I am confused. any help would be great. Thanks. Also if someone might happen to have the wiring diagram for this bike I would appreciate it if they could e-mail it to me. Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2006, 10:37 PM.

You replaced a starter solenoid for a 750cc engine with one from a lawnmower? Can it handle the current you're pumping through it, and is the pinout correct? I'm wondering if you've melted something and its causing a short or a feedback loop and thus causing some of your problems. Alas, I don't have a schematic for your bike.

- Tim

Comment

I got the idea of using a relay from a lawnmower from this website. A starter solenoid is a starter solenoid right? It is a 4 prong relay.

Comment

Just a dumb question:
        Should a 78 GS1000 have a gear indicator? Mine doesn't.

Comment

Man I wish I had a schematic for this right now...... my curiousity is peaked

Comment

Working...
          X