Oil Filter Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Source

Hi, the dealer gets just a bit too much from me for the oil filter & O-ring for my '81 GS 850 & 00 GS 500, which use same items. No one here(Maryland USA) like Walmart or SALVO Auto Parts, who stock a few well priced FRAM filter/O-ring sets for other bikes carry the CH 6000 & want a bit much for special order. Anyone find a decent/fair price for either Suzook or FRAM versions. I had gotten an EMGO but it looked cheaper & pressure relief spring was dramatically weaker than the other two. I would probably get a dozen or more at a clip as I change my oil frequently.

Hey maybe a few in this area want to pitch in & get a truckload at great price???????

Thanks,
    Douglas

The WIX PN# is 24931 for that filter, My local O'Rileys carries the FRAM CH6000, wich comes with the O-ring, for a third of what the zuki dealer wants for just the filter alone! ($4.76)

Comment

I get the Suzuki part at my local dealer for less than $5.00. No O-ring, but it doesn't need to be replaced every change anyway.

Comment

Wix?

WIX???? What's a WIX?????
        Texas, is that near Maryland??? Probably not. My luck. I don't think we have any store named O'Reilly's here. That price sounds exactly like what it should be tho. Thanks for reply, hope springs internal!!!
        DH

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone
          WIX???? What's a WIX?????
          A line of filters.

Comment

Shipping is free if you spend $100 at Dennis Kirk (denniskirk.com). I bought Fram 6001 filters there last month for $4.99 with the new o-ring. It'll give you an excuse to spend an extra $40 if you buy a dozen, money you're saving anyway over buying at a dealer (cheap levers and cables, too).

Comment

STP makes motorcycle filters also and they are available at Autozone. Don't remember the price, but since AZ's are all over the place down here in Texas(some open 24hrs) it is convenient to purchase.

Comment

I get my oil filters real cheap on eBay. Fram 6000's. I have four filters on the shelves of my garage, ready to be used.

Nick

Comment

Does anybody make a washable stainless steel oil filter for our bikes?

Comment

I have one of those as original equipment in my late model Yamaha dualsport bikes. It's as easy to change out as a paper filter (and is constructed in the same manner), contrasted with my older Honda dualsport that requires one of the engine covers come off. But, in both cases they are less filters than screens. They're designed to catch the big chunks. I don't think you can buy a screen-type filter that would catch the small particles that I want to take out of the system.

Comment

Here's the type of filter I'm talking about except ours isn't a screw-on type. It looks to be a real filter but it 35 microns the same spec as paper filters? They say it is better.

On a related topic...what's the difference between a CH6000 and a CH6001?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                        There probably is no significant difference, the 6001 is the filter specificed for my particular model. I just highlighted the number so you'd not do a direct price comparison. Apples and oranges, you know. Chances are, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart at a glance.

That Scotts filter is interesting, but considering the initial cost and the hassle of cleaning it at each change, I'd be really happy if I could just use a screw-on throwaway instead of what we're stuck with now.

From Fram's website: "Tiny dirt particles between 10 and 20 microns do much of the damage to bearings, cylinders and other moving engine parts by rubbing and causing wear." I see Fram claim that their filters (automotive specific) catch 96.2% of particles under 20 microns. I don't know if that holds true for motorcycle filters. Website fram.com seems to ignore motorcycles!

Comment

the 35 microns is rock-sized compared to what needs filtering. And as for fram, I don't know what the motorcycle filters are, but I would NEVER use one on a car.......cut one open and you see why... 8O

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                            The O-ring.

Comment

I used to work at a QLube washing windshields and the rest of the menial of the menial tasks and I found that the Pennzoil oil filters were the worst. When I got bored I would punch holes in the filters so that the oil would drain out and the Pennzoils were paper thin. I've been told WIX filters are the worst interally...my boss somewhere else always used brand name filters on heavy equipment.

Please, no jokes on being a washer boy...when I decide I need a job I have one within 3 days tops.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X