Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition system conversion - Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition system conversion - Is it possible?

Is it possible to completely change the ignition system on a GS. If you had a donor bike, and didn't mind doing a little wiring, seems to me you could swap out the entire ignition system from just about any other 4 cyl Jap bike with the same basic setup. By swapping the ignitor box, coils, and electronic pickups from under the right engine cover, and wiring everything to the appropriate places on the new bike, seems like it should work fine. Am I missing anything, or is this possible. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard. I've got several parts bikes in the garage, and a GS with a bad ignitor box. So I was just wodering if this was feasable or not.

Something like this would be a better solution, methinks:

What you're talking about doing is certainly possible in principle -- there's nothing all that unique or mysterious about GS engines.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It is possible, but later GS's had timing controled by the ign module

Comment

So does the Dyna system replace the original electronic pickups and the ignitor box? If so, seems like a no brainer as a replacement ignitor costs more than the Dyna.

Comment

Working...
        X