Rattle at low fuel normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle at low fuel normal?

When I'm down to a quarter tank or so (1gal) I hear a pronounced rattle echoing up through the tank. It's timed with the engines rpms so I don't know if this is just hearing the engine through the tank, or if it's a problem. It's only audible from about 1k to 3k rpms. I don't really like the sound of it, but if it's normal I can deal with it.

It's a 1981 GS450E with about 8k mi on it. Just had the carbs pulled, cleaned, and synched, but it made this noise last season too. I haven't been riding that long and this may be a dumb question, but if you have any ideas? Could there be something loose in there?

When the tank is nearly empty, it can act as a resonator and amplify normal engine noise. Or maybe the mass of fuel in a full tank damps out noise better.

Either way, it's normal and harmless.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you have a fuel gage, could it be the float rattling around in the tank??
      That's just an idea....

Comment

no fuel gauge. but sounds like it might just be normal. just was making sure. thanks!

Comment

My gs650 did this when it would get below a half tank. It would start making a knocking sound that only got worse as the tank got emptier. I finally found out it was the vacuum diaphram in the stock petcock making the noise. The tank was acting like a resonator and making it extremely loud the emptier it got. I switched to a pingle manual petcock and the noise went away completely.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I also noticed noise in my old GS450L when the gas was low. I wondered if it might not be valve train noise? I put 18 or 19k on it without any adjustments of that kind, and I don't remember the noise when I first started riding it. In any case, filling it up made the noise all but go away, and made me feel better.

Comment

GS450E Ratthle

It may be worth reading the replies to my post on 14th May.

Search for GS450E

Sounds like rattle on tick over is a common issue.

I thought it may be to do with mixture but I am still evaluating the results of my amateur carb tuning.

Gary

Comment

Working...
              X