82 GS650GL Electrical questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650GL Electrical questions

When I got the bike, the dude had wired a trunk with lights and seems to have caused an issue with the electrical system. When turning the key to the lock position, the tail light comes on. I took the schematic from my Clymer manual and removed the trunk light wires and soldered the spots where he used butt connectors. I went to the fron end where he had removed the reflectors from the side of the lower triple clamp and found this....

Where the heck does the wire with the circle go to. Going by the diagram, there are only two wires coming out of the signal, black splitting and going to ground. I am not too good at electrical. I was always better at the mechanical aspect rather then electrical. I did run through the whole schematic and couldn't find a whole lot wrong, just the screwy wiring job for the trunk and side lights. Any suggestions on where to look for the tail light that comes on when the ignition is locked?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

PS: keep your fingers crossed, I might be getting a gift of an 82 GS750 that has been sitting for 8 years. \\/

Are you sure it's the "lock" position, or is it the "park" position? In the "park" position, the light will be on. In the "lock" position, no lights should be on.

Comment

It's turned all the way clockwise. Before I yanked the trunk wiring and put it back together right?, the turn signals would come on too. Everything works fine, turn signals, brakes, horn, etc.

Comment

One wire I believe is ground the other is the signal light. I know my yamaha has three wires on the front for the running lights also.

I don't have a wiring diagram in front me so I don't know the colors of the wires.

Is the other side connected?

Allen

Comment

All the way clockwise is the park position. The light should come on. All the way counterclockwise is the lock position.

Comment

Try taking the lens off the turn signal and check to see if the bulb has one terminal on the bottom or two. If it has two terminals on the bottom (and two filaments), then the previous owner had wired the front turn signals as running lights (or butchered the wiring for the running lights...).

My '83 1100 has the front signals like this from the factory, one filament on as a running light, the second used for flashing signal.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I'll look it over again after work today. My schematic shows black/white and black coming out of the signal. It really has 2 blacks coming out with a black/white on a connector under the mounting nut that I have to trace to see exacty where it goes.

Comment

I would say that the PO definately wired the bike for running lights. I have an 82 650GL also, and I only have one wire coming from the signal, and a ground to the nut that holds the assembly together. The colors are (I think) Black w/ white stripe (bat +), solid black (gnd) Whish they used the standard yellow,green, brown, black scheme that autos use...

Comment

front lights

Looks like the light was replaced with an aftermarket ( maybe the first got crunched??) and the wire ends had colored bands just before plugging into the harness.... take a multimeter and test resistance.. btwn the two if high then it is two light system one turn and the other running.... if there is none then it is a one light system.. turn only.. on the key issue the tail only comes on in park ( to the right) it will lock the forks also biut is used for parking the bike to run into the store for a minute or two and warns cars there is a bike there.. al the way to the left is lock ( no lights come on)

Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X