Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anything i should know before i work?

Hey guys

I am replacing my cam cover seal tomorrow. Anything I should look out for?

Also how long can a bike sit with out oil? I drained my oil today but don't think I am going to fill it up until i replace the seal and oil bolt.

1. Use new "half moon" end plugs.
    2. Use new hardware.
    3. Check valve clearances while the cover is off.
    4. Make sure the tach gear is engaged when re-installing the cover.
    5. READ your manual
    6. Use a KNOWN GOOD torque wrench and torque in sequence and to the value listed in the "Valve Adjustment" portion of your manual.
    7. Or don't torque, just tighten each bolt in sequence until you feel a sharp rise in torque, then go back and turn each bolt in sequence 1/4-1/2 turn more.
    8. READ THE THREADS BELOW AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!

Cracked Cam / Valve Cover, Yep I Did It Too! (PICS) Please Help..

Can I fix crack in Cylinder head Cover

Comment

Just don't run it without oil. It will be fine sitting for a few days. Most new engines are stored without oil in them.

Allen

Comment

thanks for the responses. so when I am reinstalling the cam cover i should becareful of how much i tighten my screws so the cover doesn't crack?

Do I have to remove the breather? If i loosen the breather up won't I have to replace that seal too?

BTW this is for a 850GL
        Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, you need to be careful of how much and which order you tighten the cam (valve) cover bolts. Your repair guide should have the specifications, or I can look them up for you when I get home, as my manual covers the 850GL models.

You may not have to remove the breather cover; I don't remember removing it for my 1100GL, and you have the same frame with a smaller engine.

Comment

is there a certain order for me to remove the bolts? I was looking through the clymers manual and i didn't see anything about removal order, but i iwll look for the tightening order.

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
              You may not have to remove the breather cover; I don't remember removing it for my 1100GL, and you have the same frame with a smaller engine.
              It will be much more of a struggle if you don't remove the breather cover. I've done it on this model about 10 times, and it makes the job a whole lot easier if you do.

Comment

if i remove the breather cover do i have to replace the seal thats in it too?

Comment

Originally posted by hostar
                  if i remove the breather cover do i have to replace the seal thats in it too?
                  I have a 550, but this procedure is usually the same. If you are careful about removing the breather cover, you may be able to salvage and re-use the gasket, but most times the breather gasket rips all to hell so I would advise replacing the breather gasket too. Also, the breather has little metal mesh filters in there. It doesn't hurt to take them out and clean them in some kind of solvent or kerosene. I would also advise to remove the cam cover bolts in the opposite order that the manual says to torque them, just to be safe. Make sure that the surfaces on the head and cam cover are ABSOLUTELY CLEAN and flat before re-installing the cam cover with the new gasket.

Comment

Hey guys

I am replacing my cam cover seal tomorrow. Anything I should look out for?
                    Make sure you cover the central channel between the cams with a clean rag to prevent any bits from falling in there.
                    Yesterday, I dropped one of the "half moon" end plugs in there and it took 3 hours to fish it out (with an old bike spoke and some contact adhesive).

Not something I want to repeat !!

Comment

man....i have to order a breather gasket and some half moon plugs. So not working on the bike yet. Also need to go get myself a torque wrench too...now I am all nervous....

I looked through my manual and didn't find the screw on and unscrew bolt order....this is the clymers manual...

Comment

anyone have the removal order of bolts and install order?

I going to take off the cover tomorrow, but would like to know if there is a certain removal order? outside to inside or inside to outside

I know installing it you go from inside to outside in an X pattern.

I am going to see in what shape the half moon plugs are in and depending on that see if i need to order new ones or not.

But i do find it wierd that my clymers manual said nothing about removal and installation order of bolts.....good thing this website exists =P

:-D

Comment

anyone have the removal order of bolts and install order?
                          There is no required method for REMOVING the cam cover bolts, but it might be good for you to remove them in a criss-cross pattern, from outside-to-inside; just the opposite of installing/torquing them.
                          BTW- If you are going to buy a torque wrench, just spend the money and make a wise investment on a quality Snap-on brand, or similar. Do not go and purchase those cheap a$$ dial indicated torque wrenches from AutoZone or the like. I did that and learned my lesson already....

Comment

not sure if i am getting a torque wrench, i am just going to do the 1/5 turn once hand tightened..and check for leaks

hopefully that will work out....working on a budget =)

Comment

not sure if i am getting a torque wrench, i am just going to do the 1/5 turn once hand tightened..and check for leaks

hopefully that will work out....working on a budget =)
                              My experience says that is your best bet anyway. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X