No announcement yet.

anything i should know before i work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I was able to get the cover off w/o taking off the breather. The half moon seals look good, just have to get the gasket off the cylinder now. Need to go buy some gasket remover tomorrow and hopefully clean it up. I hope i don;t drop anythingin the cylinder....

here are some pictures...

and

and

Let me know if you see anything wrong =P

Comment

Ho... No would be a good time to wipe off your frame and coils huh?
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

you trying to say my bike is dirty? =P :-D

Comment

so did i screw myself?

while I was scraping the gasket off the cylinder head apeice about ........ <- that long fell into the engine, right by the chain tensioner. I looked everywhere but i couldn't find it, I already drained the oil in my bike....

should i be worried about the little piece of gasket?

Comment

get an air hose and spray out the dust/gasket, itll probably spatter oil all over, but its better than having stuff in your oil.

as far as tightening goes, Its the gasket thats more of a problem than cracking the cover. you dont want to smash through the gasket. I just get them snug and then tighten it with my hand until if feels ~1 foot pound.

Comment

so after looking carefully at where the gasket fell in, it looks like it just dropped all the way in. I looked at some pictures of how the engine is built and it looks like it goes down the center all the way to the bottem.

Cloudbreak is saying I might need to pull the oil pan, anyway around that? not trying to have my bike sit even long while I wait for parts.

Think I can dump oil from the top (since the cylinder head cover is off) to try and flush it out from the drain hole or oil filter?

Oh yeah one more thing since I am not using a torque wrench, would it be a bad idea to use locktite on the bolts?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Cylinder head cover bolt

Factory service manual list the torque spec for the head cover bolts at 6.5lbs, not very tight. Not sure of the locktite. When I pulled my cover all of the bolts were tight and a few of them made a kind of pop when they broke loose. Anybody have any ideas on using antiseize or locktite, which one might be better?
                80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

when i pulled off my bolts, mine had some kind of sticky residue on them. I think it might of been locktite. but it should be ok to use it right?

Also can i pour oil fromt he top of the engine to try and flush out the gasket?

Thanks!

Comment

hey just wanted to thank everyone for thier help! My bike is up and running and no more leaks! I added the rotella T and the bike is SMOOOTH! don't know what I would do with out you guys!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X