Don't know if this is normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if this is normal?

I've never had a centerstand mounted before, so I don't know if this is normal but when on the stand and running the bike in gear I notice the chain bounce around quite a bit. No clanking around, but it jumps around quite violently. Anyone else have this happen? I don't know if when the bike is under load and the cush drive is working if the bouncing is still there, I've never noticed anything. The chain and sprockets are quite new and adjusted as well I know how.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Never had mine running and in gear on the cenrter stand but my chain gets real loose when on center stand, once it is on it's wheels the chain is at the proper tension.

Comment

Normal....

I've had mine in gear on the center stand and I did notice the chain jumping around a bit, but nothing excessive and it never rubbed the swing arm or anything. The chain is definitely going to have more slack with the weight of the bike off the wheels and the shocks fully extended. i would say it's normal.

Comment

Its normal Jethro. I usually do that when I lube the chain. Let it idle in 1st with some rags on the floor under it. Gets rid of the excess lube so it doesnt throw it all over the back of the bike. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
        I've never had a centerstand mounted before, so I don't know if this is normal but when on the stand and running the bike in gear I notice the chain bounce around quite a bit. No clanking around, but it jumps around quite violently. Anyone else have this happen? I don't know if when the bike is under load and the cush drive is working if the bouncing is still there, I've never noticed anything. The chain and sprockets are quite new and adjusted as well I know how.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          Its normal Jethro. I usually do that when I lube the chain. Let it idle in 1st with some rags on the floor under it. Gets rid of the excess lube so it doesnt throw it all over the back of the bike. :-)

Earl
          This is for you, Earl.

How NOT to lube a chain

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
            This is for you, Earl.

How NOT to lube a chain

OW!!!!! That must have hurt a little.... now that guy can do a real good finger-in-the-nose trick!!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

This is for you, Earl.

How NOT to lube a chain

Ahhh...now that just grouses(sp?) me out.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
                Cool. I was worried there...

Those pics are gross...
                Currently bikeless
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

that was fricking gross.

Comment

I stopped going up a hill once on my mini-bike, reached down to feel my chain tension, and just happened to roll backwards about 3 inches at the same time. Yep, my right forefinger followed the chain back over the sprocket and perforated right through my fingernail to the bone. OWWWWWWW!

Man, that hurt like I don't know what and did for hours afterwards. I can't imagine how it felt getting shredded like this guy! Oh, man! :shock:

Comment

This is for you, Earl.

How NOT to lube a chain
                      I was just in the mood for a few hot dogs on the grill, now I kinda lost my appetite. Jethro, I have run my bike on the centerstand as well, my bike does exactly the same thing. I am thinking it's because the rear wheel has no "load" on it which can technically spin faster than the chain (which orings chains especially when cold, do have resistance in them). I believe the two components are "fighting" each other, and hence the chain violently slapping up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                        I was just in the mood for a few hot dogs on the grill, now I kinda lost my appetite. Jethro, I have run my bike on the centerstand as well, my bike does exactly the same thing. I am thinking it's because the rear wheel has no "load" on it which can technically spin faster than the chain (which orings chains especially when cold, do have resistance in them). I believe the two components are "fighting" each other, and hence the chain violently slapping up and down.
                        Sweet. I'm a little paranoid, as a few years ago I torched a new 630 chain and two sprockets on my 81 1100E by not aligning it and having it to tight. Good to hear it's normal.
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                        X