New bike to fix up need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bike to fix up need advice

This is probobly a standard question but I'll give the detail and ask in addition to a site search. I just purchased a 79 GS550 thats going to need a bit of work and I would like to do it right. The two biggest issues are 1) the starter doesn't work. It kick starts like a charm but the button doesn't get a bit of action. I've read that GS's have electrical problems but what is the best guide to fix these issues. Its not a big deal but would make me feel better about having a bike that feels complete. 2) the swing arm seems to be loose giving a little play in the rear wheel. I'm confident it is fixable, probobly just the bushings but perhaps it may be other issues. Is this a fairly easy thing to diagnose or should I have a shop look at it before replacing perfectly good parts. There are a few other minor issues but its in overall good condition. I would like to spice it up a bit if anyone has suggestions of some good cheep additions or replacements that give a better appearance or better performance. Thanks for any input.

Josh

A first simple test is to short across the large terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver or some other substantial peice of metal, if the starter turns then you can assume the starter is ok. and that you're getting juice to the large terminals.

Comment

Corrosion in the starter button contacts is pretty common in any old bike. You may need to take the handlebar switch housing apart and clean things up. Good luck not losing any of the 1,000,000 tiny parts and springs that fly out.

OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but be careful and work on a clean surface.

Suzuki charging circuits are always suspect, but the rest of the electrical system is no better or worse than any other vintage machinery. In other words, treat it all with suspicion until you've verified every last connection and wire.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Your bike also has a switch on the clutch lever. Will not start unless the clutch is pulled in....

Comment

Thanks for the tips I'll give them a shot. Any suggestions on the swing arm bushings. Easiest to let a shop do it or do it myself. If the answer is do it myself what is the prefered manual for these bikes. I've seen several online but hate to hunt down and order and wimpy one.

Comment

The swing arm bearings are not that bad to replace It helps if you have a dremel to cut the old brg race, use a drift punch to drive them out. I have found doing projects like this -- wear glove & use at least a 3 lb hammer. The tipical home size hammer is not big enough. You could also take the swing arm off & have the dealer change them

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              Your bike also has a switch on the clutch lever. Will not start unless the clutch is pulled in....

I spent an hour chasing the wires to find this out.

Allen

Comment

Working...
              X