Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000 - Run ater you disconnect the positive wire from the battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 - Run ater you disconnect the positive wire from the battery?

GS1000 78

If you take the positive off of the battery should it die or stay running ?

Trying to check the voltage.
    Checked the voltage at the battery w/ a volatage gauge.
    READS---
    12.5 at idle
    12.5 at 4000 rpms

I am guessing the R/R is out or the STATOR ?????

Why is it still running if I disconnect the battery
    Does that mean the STATOR works but the R/R might be out ?--Just a guess

Because you stator is generating enough juice to power the electrics!

Once you're up to a couple of thousand revs then the battery is in a charging mode. You're probably won't cause any damage but I wouldn't recommend doing it as that extra juice needs to be shunted somewhere and the only thing that it can be shunted into is heat!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2006, 09:16 AM.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

Comment

beby99

Thanks a lot for the link beby99

That is helpful.....

Knowledge is great..

Comment

more gr8 GS info

I seem to have a battery not charging and since its new sumthins gotta be wrong else where - the bike shop that got the bike roadworthy actually told me it was charging a little too high and just to keep the headlights on whenever riding....

unless I have failed to do so and perhaps cooked a new battery with overcharging - I dont know...

In fact I have no idea what I'm doing - but the link above lead me to what has to be the simplest fault finding chart ever...
          :arrow: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

...but then it has to be for me to understand lol

... just a quick thanks again for more invaluable info - GSRs are pretty smart cookies...

ohh - btw - if this link doesnt apply to my 81'GS1000 - I would appreciate a heads up - I get into way to much trouble even when Im on the right track lol

Cheers

Phark\\/

Comment

Don't do that, it will fry your electrical system.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
              Don't do that, it will fry your electrical system.
              erm- dont do what???

-------------------

ohh i get ya - erm my prob is just the recent post - I dint start the thread - just dint want to start another one about an elecrical issue when it seems i may have found the answer here....

thx for the heads up though m8
              Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2006, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Sounds like there's a R/R problem, probably one of the diodes in there went south and the system is only doing 12.5 volts. Mine is doing exactly that. The system is maintaining battery charge, but just not fully charging the battery. If you use the high beam a lot, you will find that the extra load will outrun the present charging capability and you will probably hard-start the next time you hit the button.
                As for running the motor with the batt disconnected, the alternator/R/R thus putting out 12.5 volts will supply ample power to the ignition system to keep the motor running, but this is not a good thing, as it is outputting a pulsating DC as there's no battery to add load and buffer the output to a pure DC. It will eventually FRY your electrical system.
                Hope this sheds some light on the issue.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

taking off battery terminals

as a matter of interest when you take off a battery cable with the engine running the voltage control has nothing to use for a reference as a rusult the voltage within the system will be 30 to 60 volts in most auto and a little less in motorcycles guess what tis voltage does to 12v modules and controls.
                  in my shop you run into this alot lights burnt ignition modulesburnt good for business but not for customer. in a few words DO NOT TAKE BATTERY CABLES OFF WITH ENGINE RUNNING

Comment

Working...
                  X