I like it loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it loud

I've been reading a few threads and want to know how I could mod the exhaust without breaking the bike or my wallet. The stock exhaust makes the bike sound like a go kart. I would like to remove the baffles to make it a little louder. Only problem...I don't know what/where they are. I'm hoping to make the bike loud, but not Ozzy concert loud . Any help is good help! Thanks in advance.

My bikes a '83 650gld (shaft).

If your bike is stock, removing restrictions from your stock exhaust pipe will probably hurt performance. The GS fuel/exhaust systems are designed as a unit and run best left that way. Beyond that, I'll editorialize a little.

Unbaffled 4 cylinder motorcycles sound like sh*t. A loud V-twin can sound good if not too loud, but that's because of the uneven cadence and low RPMs. But a loud evenly pulsed 4 - it's a tinny, ear-splitting scream that p*sses everybody off (but you).

Do the rest of us a favor and keep the noise down.

Comment

i modified some bandit headers to work, than just run them straight. All my friends and people around town thinks its an R1 or gsxr. Than they see my bike and they cant beleive its sound.

Comment

grab your ipod and go here, :arrow: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0410_pipe_clips/

dont unbaffle an inline 4 please.[-o<

Comment

Some here have had luck with welding stock Hardley-Ableson mufflers onto GS head pipes. I don't know if it's any louder, though.

Sometimes you can get them free, because the first thing most of these nonconformists do to conform to the accepted standards of the tribe is to toss the stock pipes so they can sound like flatulent elephants.

Ask at your nearest HD t-shirt/bluejeans shop.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            Some here have had luck with welding stock Hardley-Ableson mufflers onto GS head pipes. I don't know if it's any louder, though.

Sometimes you can get them free, because the first thing most of these nonconformists do to conform to the accepted standards of the tribe is to toss the stock pipes so they can sound like flatulent elephants.

Ask at your nearest HD t-shirt/bluejeans shop.
            Dont forget to mention the easy 5 hp gain by loosing those restrictors (on a HD that is). Of course that goes with the other 10 you can get from a rejet and a KN. Not a bad reason to loose the stock pipes.

Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace

Unbaffled 4 cylinder motorcycles sound like sh*t. A loud V-twin can sound good if not too loud, but that's because of the uneven cadence and low RPMs. But a loud evenly pulsed 4 - it's a tinny, ear-splitting scream that p*sses everybody off (but you).
              I have always felt V-twins sounded like sH*t and inline fours sounded awesome when fitted with a nice performance exhaust...but I grew up with inline fours.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by odl777
                i modified some bandit headers to work, than just run them straight. All my friends and people around town thinks its an R1 or gsxr. Than they see my bike and they cant beleive its sound.
                Exactly what did you do to get the bandit exhaust to fit your bike? I have a 78 1000e that needs a new exhaust & the V&H I tried on my 750 started to rust in less than a year. (I live three blocks from the ocean. The breeze be a WEE bit salty)

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by pano
                  I have always felt V-twins sounded like sH*t and inline fours sounded awesome when fitted with a nice performance exhaust...but I grew up with inline fours.

I agree pano, I really like the way my Jardine sounds, not too loud but throaty. The Japanese v twins are ok but most Charley Davis sound to me, as though they are about to through a rod. Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thats a nice link for hearing the way an inline 4 sounds, with different mufflers. I listened to most of them. The stock was the quietest of course, and the Wolf ones seemed the loudest to me. I thought the loud ones sounded great....but then again, my sick mind thinks those loud Harleys actually sound good too. :twisted:

Comment

I replaced my stock mufflers with a pair of H-D Softail mufflers. They were new take-offs the dealer gave me for free. The inside diameter is a perfect slip fit over the stock pipe, but there's not much of it left after you cut the old mufflers off. I ended up welding mine on. If you do it right one of the H-D muffler threaded mounting holes may line up with those on your frame mounting points. They did on my bike. The H-D mufflers have a couple of holes for a cross-over pipe that have to be plugged.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! The mufflers have a rich mellow sound at slower steady speeds and really wail as the RPMs climb--like an old-school British sports car, if you know what I mean. I like the fact that the mellow exhaust note drowns out the mechanical trashing noises coming from the engine, but it isn't loud enough to annoy your neighbors or require earplugs. And, last but not least: no rejetting was required. I have confirmed this with a Colortune sparkplug tool.

Here's the thread that turned me on to this trick:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=muffler

I'm the one who described mounting H-D shorties on a Kawasaki 440 LTD on page 5.

Comment

Originally posted by humhead
                        Exactly what did you do to get the bandit exhaust to fit your bike? I have a 78 1000e that needs a new exhaust & the V&H I tried on my 750 started to rust in less than a year. (I live three blocks from the ocean. The breeze be a WEE bit salty)

Terry
                        I had to cut off the bandit flanges and weld on my old gs ones. It worked great, i may have a lil exaust leak but not enough to hurt, at least i dont think. My complete exaust with performence can and all was only 50.00 best money ive soent for performence and sound. heres some pics
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Sounds pretty simple. BTW the semigloss black streetfighter looks GREAT!
                          Thanks for the info.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X