Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS450L - Getting hammered after Progressive springs & fork oil change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L - Getting hammered after Progressive springs & fork oil change...

I used search and read quite a bit about preload & fork oil weight. Don't think this is not just another fork oil question I guess its more of a fork oil level question...

Replaced my 81 450 L (7.5k mi on odometer) springs w/correct progressives (got'em cheap) & seemingly proper preload (incl. 3/4" - 1" PVC). The sag is about 1". I mixed 50/50 10w30 & ATF per manual & filled forks to 8" below fork top (per manual) w/forks completely compressed & springs out (but forks still on bike).

Put it all together & I'm getting quite beat up while riding it (I'm about 170lbs.)... Seems to stiff. Measured travel (w/ziptie) after going over rough roads/bumps & I'm using only 3" total fork travel (have another inch or 2 left before bottoming). Does that fork travel sound o.k. for this bike?

Questions:
    Anyone else w/a similar bike & setup that can offer their fork oil wt & height that they like? Maybe I should go to actual 15wt fork oil...

I'm thinking the problem may be the fork oil level (not enough/too much air in fork tubes?)... Can anyone make recommendations to smooth this thing out?

TIA for any suggestions...

You may have too much oil ?? I would use straight 15w fork oil. I had simillar feelings when I put progressive springs in my 850 After two or three weeks of breaking them in, They work fine.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Which manual specified the 8" oil height? The Progressives displace more oil, as I understand it, and usually specify a different height from the stock fork set-up....also, the mix of oil you have used may be heavier than regular 10 or 15wt fork oil, giving you the stiffer ride. Most people run without any air in the fork after upgrading to Progressives.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

SqDancerLynn1 & Mysuzyq- Thanks for the replies... I may go straight 10w or 15w fork oil... And I did just do the job 3 days ago, so maybe I should give it a couple weeks before I go making changes.

The 8" came from a table in Clymer's & did pretty much equal the 5oz per fork speced in the official Suz shop manual. But, as you say the progressives displace alot more fluid & maybe there is not enough air left at the top of the forks. BTW, by air in my forks I mean air space remaining under cap (these don't have air valves/dont take compressed air).

Also, it may also be that I raised the L's forks .8" in the triple trees *and* changed the apehanger bars to superbike ones... So, more weight on front & now kinda leaning on the front forks might be making it seem stiff...
        Do like how it eats turns now (except for jarring bumps), but long highways are not so fun. May go to LTD bend bars someday.

Comment

Working...
        X