just got a kz for 50.00 (ign prob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got a kz for 50.00 (ign prob)

I have been working on a kz 650 and its only firning on 2 cylinders but i beleive it is a ignition problem because i can switch the leads to the points and it will fire on different cylinders. What would cause one side of the points not to fire. thanks

Could be the coils or the points themselves need to be sanded...
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

its not the coils because i switched the leads and the other set of coils fired. thanks

Comment

Well, the obvious question: are the points actually opening? The block can wear out to the point where they won't open the points. Next stop would be the condenser. You'll need to get a manual and a multimeter (or just replace it). Don't know this machine, but I'm assuming there are two sets of points/condensers. If not, disregard this post.

Comment

Yes it is just like the gs. I thought that would be the problem i just wanted a 2nd opinion. I did put my gs points on the bike, i thought they were still good but no luck on getting a spark out of the other two cylinders. I had to hot wire the bike, there isnt 2 wires that hook up the the switch that would make one coil not fire is there? thanks

Comment

I have 2 KZ 650's here is a part i had on ebay it didn't sell

if you are interested in this part let me know I will sell it for $5.00 + shipping it is off a 1977 650B I have parted one of my KZ's out but I do have a few part llaying around. I just bought the stator off ebay to get mine up and running again. I am also in the process of replacing a head gasket on my GS 850L this is my first attempt at this I hope all goes well if I run into trouble I will ask here first.

Comment

yeah i'll take it for 5 bucks, how much for shipping? do you have paypal, and by anychance you have any side covers for the kz thanks

Comment

I do have paypal I may have a cover laying around do you need both sides or just one of them where are you located at so I can figure up the shipping. You get that thing running right you will love it. I have had my 650 several years. It is a blast to ride and people have got out of their cars at traffic lights to check it out I run Antique tags on it.you can pm me your address so we can try to get this old Kaw firing off all four. You got a stael at $50.00 I was offered $800.00 for mine I told them Nah it don't eat much and it would be like selling one of my children lol

Comment

Make sure you check for 12v to both sets of points. One of my bikes had a break in one of the hot wires. The symptoms were exactly what you described.

Terry

Comment

Thanks, so you just traced the wires on the ignt right? or did you have to go further? thanks

Comment

I loosened the hot wires that attach to each set of points. turned on the ignition & removed & replaced each wire. You should see a small spark. If not, time to check the wires!

Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X