No announcement yet.

JB Weld inside carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JB Weld says on the package that it is good for use on fuel systems. I used it to fix my fuel gauge sending unit- the float had broken off the float arm. No problems, it's holding fine.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Stu's correct...IT'S ALL IN THE SURFACE PREP.
      I'd recommend acetone, then a contact cleaner like CRC Brakleen.

Get that right, and build it up around the break, I'd bet it will hold.
      A carb-float pivot is not exactly what I'd call a 'high-stress application'.
      With proper surface-prep, it will hold up to gasoline.

BOW at the altar of JB Weld.

Good Luck,
      Ted

Comment

JB Weld

I have a 1981 GS850G. I broke the float post during the rebuild.
        I ran all the carb parts through a ultrasonic bath with a cleaning solution.
        I made the repair with JB Weld and it has been in service for over 2 years.
        Just make sure the surface is very clean and lightly clamp the parts together during cure.

Comment

Float Post Repair

My JB weld repair worked (so far). I reinforced the repair with a very fine SS wire. I drilled a very small hole through the post near the carb body. I threaded the wire through the hole, up over the broken piece and back. I twisted the wire, effectively cinching the broken piece back to the post. Of course, I put the epoxy on first. After I cinched up the wire, I put some more epoxy around hte post, setting the wire to the post. I had to grind a little metal off the bowl to clear my repair, but not much.

Stu

Comment

Working...
          X