Has anyone upgraded 1150 brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone upgraded 1150 brakes?

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their brakes on an 1150? I read somewhere, not sure where, that the calipers from a slingshot (90 GSXR I think) will bolt right on. Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance Gerry

I'm not sure myself, but I would love to hear what other people say as I was thinking about doing something along those same lines.

Comment

So far, I only had problem with the stock brakes then it rains heavy. I have to "brake away" the water on the discs (front) one time and then the brakes workes fine.

Do you have some other problems with the brakes?

Or do you just want to upgrade to something more modern?

Comment

I was looking to get more modern brakes. The brakes work fine with the newer pads (SBS). I just want more stoping power if it can be done. This is the artical that I found.

This is another common mod in the UK - given the potential for (and frequency of) tuning the GSX 1100 EFE (GS 1150) motor, it follows that a better set of brakes would be good...
        If you have tuned up your GSX 1100 EFE - or even if you haven't! - you can uprate your brakes to modern standards using parts from the Breakers / junkyard in an hour... The secret ingredient you are looking for is a set of Nissin four-pot calipers - look like this -->

These were fitted to the GSX-R Slingshot range ('90 - '91 model years), have popped up on a few other machines (e.g. The early Hinkley Triumphs '92-95) and have resurfaced on the 1200 Bandit recently. I am not sure about the Bandit bracketry but if you can get a set from a '90 - '91 Slingshot then these WILL BOLT STRAIGHT ON! Yes that's right - these will line up perfectly with the EFE / 1150 caliper mounts on the fork legs and will bite nice and hard on the stock discs. However if you just put them on au naturel they will be slightly offset and will eat the inner pads before the outers are half worn. You can either swap the pads around to get even wear but the best option is to put a couple of flat washers INSIDE the fork leg (between the fork leg and the caliper) to space the caliper more towards the centre of the wheel. Once they're on, bleed the brakes as per normal and then get used to two finger stopping from 140mph from now on![img][/img][img][/img]

Comment

How about the brakes from a late model Katana? like this one

this is a 2000 model Katana. (yep, they made them this late)

Comment

Do you think they are the same Nissin four pot calipers that will bolt right on?

Comment

A little info that might help you. I'm running a Gixxer front end on my bike and the distance from center to center of the mounting points for the caliper is 3 9/16". From the inside surface of the fork tabs the calipers bolt to, to the outside surface of the rotor is about 7/8". You may run into a clearance problem between the calipers and the wheel.

Comment

Thanks, I'll get the tape out and have a look.
                What year is your GSXR front end?

Comment

Just had a quick look at the calipers and the spacing. Your measurments seem to work out. I will take a closer look when I get some time in the old shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry
                    It's the front end that came on the '88-'90 models with 4 piston calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                      Originally posted by Gerry
                      It's the front end that came on the '88-'90 models with 4 piston calipers.
                      Thank's, that looks like the one I need. I'll check the spacing more closely before I buy.
                      And thanks for all the input.
                      Gerry

Comment

I'm sure if you bring your bike to a breakers he will let you try various calipers for size, after all you only have to remove two boltsto try on the newer ones.

Comment

Originally posted by joed
                          I'm sure if you bring your bike to a breakers he will let you try various calipers for size, after all you only have to remove two boltsto try on the newer ones.
                          That's a good idea, I'll give that a try in the spring (we have a foot of snow ) if I don't do it this winter. Thanks Gerry

Comment

Working...
                          X