Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Clutch Question

82 1100E

I just put in a new Vesrah clutch (VC-335), with the heavy-duty Vesrah springs (SK-303), ordered from Dennis Kirk.

I torqued the clutch bolts down to 80-ish inch-lbs (a friend was kind enough to loan me his inch-lb. torque wrench, as I don't have a torque wrench of any kind). When I put everything back together, there was quite a bit of play in my clutch cable, so I adjusted it, mainly at the adjustment above the clutch/transmission. Now the lever starts moving the clutch almost immediately.

A few details (bear with me here....) When the bike is not running, and in neutral, it's easy to roll. When I put it in first, and pull the clutch lever all the way in, the bike is noticeably harder to roll forwards or backwards than when it's in neutral. This leads me to believe the clutch isn't disengaging all the way, becuase I don't recall noticing a difference between neutral and in gear/clutch lever in with my old clutch.

However- I can start the bike, put it in first, and hold the clutch lever *all* the way in, and the bike doesn't move. If I let the lever out even a tad, the bike starts to move. Perhaps that's how I want it, and my old clutch/cable adjustment was out of whack and I never noticed it (this is my first bike, and the first time I have replaced the clutch).

1. I'm concerned that my clutch isn't disengaging as much as it should be, since it's hard to push when in gear. Is this a legitimate concern?

2. If the clutch bolts weren't torqued to spec, would it create this type of issue? I didn't check my Chilton's (left it at a friend's house), but found a post on here that indicated the 1100's torque to 7lbs.

3. Are the heavy-duty Vesrah springs making a difference? They were about a 1/4" longer than the ones I took out (most likely Suzuki OEM), but whether that's from compression of the old springs, or the amount of spring material, I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice; I'm still learning here.

-A

Sounds like you're fine to me. If your bike were on a center stand running and you put it in gear with the clutch pulled in, the back tire will rotate a little. And if when on the ground it doesn't lurch forward, then you are fine. A tiny bit of drag is OK. And it will loosen up even more once you break the clutch in a little.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Your left forearm will now grow to match the size of your right. :-D

Comment

Thanks for the info; don't want to mess anything up with a poorly-adjusted clutch. Another question-- are there any special break-in recommendations for a new clutch? I know with a car, they usually recommend not revving past certain RPMs for xxx number of miles, etc.

Anything I need to do to make sure my new clutch breaks in, and doesn't just break? :-)

Comment

That sounds just about perfect to me. There will always be a bit of drag, thats normal. Congratulaltions!

Earl

[QUOTE=away_man]82 1100E

However- I can start the bike, put it in first, and hold the clutch lever *all* the way in, and the bike doesn't move. If I let the lever out even a tad, the bike starts to move. Perhaps that's how I want it, and my old clutch/cable adjustment was out of whack and I never noticed it (this is my first bike, and the first time I have replaced the clutch).
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Way to go. Sounds like another success.

Comment

Originally posted by away_man
              Thanks for the info; don't want to mess anything up with a poorly-adjusted clutch. Another question-- are there any special break-in recommendations for a new clutch? I know with a car, they usually recommend not revving past certain RPMs for xxx number of miles, etc.

Anything I need to do to make sure my new clutch breaks in, and doesn't just break? :-)
              You don't have to break in the clutch discs. Just ride normally and they will be fine.

Comment

Sounds like you did everything ok. Those Vesrah springs are quite a bit stronger but they feel better after some use. And torqing those springs was IMPORTANT. The PO must not have done this on mine. Shortly after I got it, I had a terrible clatter in the clutch housing and slipping like crazy. Found 3 of the 6 springs and bolts at the bottom of the case and the other three were unscrewed almost all the way. Yikes! Replaced with the Vesrah springs and she works great now. Good Luck with yours.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X