Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignitor unit...1984 GS1150ES VS. 1980 GS1100E...compatable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignitor unit...1984 GS1150ES VS. 1980 GS1100E...compatable?

Hey everyone! Quick Techy question:

Will the Ignitor Unit off of a 1984 GS1150ES work on a 1980 GS1100E?

Thanks!!!

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX
    1980 GS1100E w/ 89,500 miles

Rudi,
    I can't say for certain, but if you have the four wires coming from the signal generators on the crank going into one ignitor plug, and four wires on the other plug you can probably make it work. Two wires on the second plug will be power supply for the ignitor and the other two will be signal wires for the coils. Compare the ignition timing specs for both motors to be sure. People here should be able to get those specs for you.

Comment

The main thing I have found with regard to Suzuki ignitors is that there are two types.

The older style works with mechanical advance ignitions. They simply convert the magnetic pickup signal without changing the timing.

The newer style work with locked rotor ignitions. They electronically advance the timing 20 degrees at 2350rpm.

If you have an engine that mechanically advances the timing to 33 degrees and suddenly gets another 20 degrees electronically, for a total of 53 degrees, the detonation of the top end of the engine should leave your ears ringing for a while.

In other words, the early mechanical and the late electronic should not be swapped.

Comment

hmmm...

So are you saying that the 1980 GS1100E ignitor unit SHOULD NOT be swapped with a 1984 GS1150 ignitor unit?

Comment

It depends on whether or not your ignition is electronically controlled and has a fixed pickup plate or if it is mechanically advanced. Bikebandit does show you have mechanical advance. So, the 1150 ignitor won't work. Try finding an older ignitor unit. My 700 is elctronically controlled and has 13 degrees of advance below 1,500 rpm and 35 degrees of advance above 2,350 rpm.

Comment

crap!!

DARN IT!!! Oh well....I'll just have to keep looking. Will probably look at some salvage yards for a stock ignitor unit....Eventually, I'd like to get a new Dyna system...

I really appreciate your help, though.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Rudi

Comment

Working...
            X