Air Screw Extraction Gone Wrong - A Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Screw Extraction Gone Wrong - A Cautionary Tale

My first day back from a two week vacation has proven to be frusterating at best. I started by stripping the head of one of the four philips holding on the diaphragm cover. Then, when attemping to remove the air screw, that got stripped too. Attempting to Drill it out, followed by an attempt with a screw extracter led to a broken #2 carb body... the force split the threads and the whole side of the air screw part broke off.

So far my carb casualties include:
    Broken #2 carb body
    Two stripped screws (1 diaphragm, 1 guard rail thing)
    One annhilated air screw
    Bad idle adjust knob (not caused by me, threads wore down)
    More screws and gaskets to come I'm sure

Long story short, if you haven't broken a carb body, know that its extremely easy to do. If anyone has any tips on how to remove a seized air screw then please let me know.

I had the same problem....
    I brought it to a guy, and he used the extractor, BUT...heated up the carb body with a torch (just where the screw was) and the darn thing came right out. Meanwhile, this was AFTER I completely stripped it, and tried other ways to get it out. They guy who did it for me told me when he put the screw extractor in, he could feel it stripping the screw...so, that's why he heated it. I was VERY happy to say the least.
    As far as getting to the diaphragm cover bolts , I used Vise Grips..I already knew I was going to have a problem. WD-40'd it, then the screws came right out..(this was AFTER stripping one of them)...
    Good luck

Comment

Damn, can't believe I didn't think of heat... I wonder if they sell like cheap mini butane torches or something, I don't think my lighter is going to cut it :-D

As for the regular screws, haven't had a problem at all using a dremmel to turn the mangled phillips into a bigger flat head, but I wish I could stop stripping them in the first place

Comment

CV carbs

You need an impact screwdriver. I do have a whole set of carbs for your bike. If you want to keep it stock, I have what you need.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Butane torches

They do sell mini butane torches and they are affordable and very handy.

Comment

Cool thanks fifer... any leads on where to buy?

Chef, thanks I actually sent you an email this morning; let me know. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
              My first day back from a two week vacation has proven to be frusterating at best. I started by stripping the head of one of the four philips holding on the diaphragm cover. Then, when attemping to remove the air screw, that got stripped too. Attempting to Drill it out, followed by an attempt with a screw extracter led to a broken #2 carb body... the force split the threads and the whole side of the air screw part broke off.

So far my carb casualties include:
              Broken #2 carb body
              Two stripped screws (1 diaphragm, 1 guard rail thing)
              One annhilated air screw
              Bad idle adjust knob (not caused by me, threads wore down)
              More screws and gaskets to come I'm sure

Long story short, if you haven't broken a carb body, know that its extremely easy to do. If anyone has any tips on how to remove a seized air screw then please let me know.
              Yup, we've all been there. Archive some posts I made about the EPA plug, and air screw removal gone horribly wrong. I ended up having to purchase a whole new rack of carbs. It doesn't end at the carbs. Many of us have major problems removing the exhaust bolts, and the valve cover bolts. I snapped a V/C bolt right under the coils, so I had to pull the whole engine assembly !!!!!!! (to add insult to injury, 3 months later I had to yank the cylinder head AGAIN to repair a bad head gasket!!!!!
              Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2006, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Bummer! I just read your old posts. You don't happen to have a spare #2 carb body would you?

Comment

Mini torches

Check wal mart in the hardware section... about $28.. looked at one l;ast night... uses butane lighter fuel..

Joe

Comment

Sorry but..... I would hesitate before using an open flame near a carb.... ;-)

As for removing those 5mm bolts on CV cover and bowl, I use a good screwdriver and if needed I clamp vise-grips on the screwdriver shaft and apply pressure with my arm to keep the phillips in it's hole, then turns the vise-grip to unscrew.. Works 99% of the time, for the last 1% I use needlenose vise-grips that I clamp firmly around the head .. I am not found on using an impact on a carb, maybe I should try it..

Sylvain
                    GS650GL
                    XS650SG

Comment

Originally posted by lapls
                      Sorry but..... I would hesitate before using an open flame near a carb.... ;-)

As for removing those 5mm bolts on CV cover and bowl, I use a good screwdriver and if needed I clamp vise-grips on the screwdriver shaft and apply pressure with my arm to keep the phillips in it's hole, then turns the vise-grip to unscrew.. Works 99% of the time, for the last 1% I use needlenose vise-grips that I clamp firmly around the head .. I am not found on using an impact on a carb, maybe I should try it..

Sylvain
                      GS650GL
                      XS650SG
                      There is absolutely NO replacement for a phillips impact driver!! They make loosening 25 year old skanky phillips screws a BREEZE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
                        Bummer! I just read your old posts. You don't happen to have a spare #2 carb body would you?
                        I have a set of bare carb bodies, I can't remember which carb has the stripped air screw threads. I will check them tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by fifer
                          They do sell mini butane torches and they are affordable and very handy.
                          What's the melting point of zinc?

Comment

that'd be 787 degrees fahrenheit.
                            I've had decent luck heating aluminum and zinc parts for fastener removal with a commercial heat gun. Resembles an industrial blow dryer. Home Depot, Lowes and such carry them for paint removal and other odd jobs. In the high position, they put out a lot of heat.... with NO flame.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2006, 08:36 PM.

Comment

$12 at AutoZone:
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X