Air Screw Extraction Gone Wrong - A Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Screw

I also had issues while rebuilding a set of 29 smoothbores. I did get the one cover off that gave me problems by using a larger phillups and heat. As for my #4 air screw, that was a differenet story. At the point prior to total strippage I went to a good lawn mower guy who also built pro street cars. He had a padded vise under a drill press and boom. It was out in 2 seconds. The tricks are there if you find the right guy and know when to stop before you booger it up.

Comment

Originally posted by kahuna
      The tricks are there if you find the right guy and know when to stop before you booger it up.
      :-D Definetely good advice

Jethro, I have that impact hammer, but there's no way that was going to fit the air screw

In fact, I did try using that when I was facing issues with the rail screw. With that being said I felt incredible uncomfortable using it on a delicate part like a carb... do you disagree? It also seemed like it was taking a hell of a whack and not doing anything. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or need a bigger hammer, or figure out how to get it open and shorten the spring...

Comment

Craftsman

The impact screwdriver I bought at Sears has different size phillip and slot screwdriver sizes. They fit all the screws on the carbs and rails. It didn't fit the pilot air screw and thats why I had to buy a #4 carb body because I !#$@ it up good. Plus, there is no replacement for a good quality screwdriver set.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah mine has 2 flat head and 2 phillips sizes... it still felt like I was POUNDing on it in order to get it to do anything. Feels like I need a sledgehammer.

Anyone have a lead on where to get a single replacement air screw? Don't want to get a whole kit for just this screw but I can;t find it on the microfiche. I have my new carb body coming

Comment

Update, it appears that the PO is a muppet. Went to disassmble Carb #4 (the final carb) and low and behold, stripped air screw. He appears to have tried drilling it out, and when that didn't work, he just left it.

So can you folks confirm... to have this removed I shoud try a lawnmower dude? Would that be the cheapest / most effective? Thanks!

Comment

Anyone have a lead on where to get a single replacement air screw? Don't want to get a whole kit for just this screw but I can;t find it on the microfiche. I have my new carb body coming

Hello,

If the air screw is the same as on the BS32 then I can send it to you ( maybe measure the length from the end of the needle to the end of the thread..)

Of course it would take about a week ( I am in Montreal, Can )

Sylvain
              GS650GL
              XS650SG

Comment

I think they are probably different but I will definetely look into it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lapls

Hello,

If the air screw is the same as on the BS32 then I can send it to you ( maybe measure the length from the end of the needle to the end of the thread..)

Of course it would take about a week ( I am in Montreal, Can )

Sylvain
                  GS650GL
                  XS650SG
                  I have a pretty good selection of screws. PM me a pic of yours, and measure the over length in mm's. I will see if I have a match. If I don't give the specs to this guy:

Comment

Thanks Judging from your post back when you were looking for the p/n, we use the same screw.... I sent you a PM to read when you have a chance. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X