Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much oil?

Hi

Think I may have caused my bike to run like a dog! I checked the oil the other day and it looked a little low, so I topped it up... but I think too much, the level is still below full, but since doing it the bike cuts out after idling for a short period - and oil runs out of the two pipes hanging down by the centrestand, and there is oil all over the sump drain plug - was dry before.

It also runs awful at low revs - like its missing - ok once you open the throttle at higher speeds though...

Any ideas? If I have put too much oil in, what should I do apart from drain it all?

Sounds more like carbs overflowing. The lines are the overflow lines off the carbs. That would explain why it's not running right.

Comment

overflowing? with what? what do I need to do to sort this out?

Comment

Just to add - I have a 1982 GS650GT. The bike will run for a while, but slowly the revs slow down, then it dies, then the fluid leaks out from underneath for a minute, then stops. Nothing leaks when the bike isnt running. And, when I am riding it, like I said, at higher speeds its fine, its only at low down revs or at idle.

Comment

stuck or sunk floats, maybe bad rings on the float valve it runs like crap because it is flooding, and the liquid running out of the tubes is gas

Comment

I hate to ask, but did you check the oil on the sidestand or straight up?

Comment

i'm not daft enough to check it on the sidestand as I know all the oil would run to the side of the engine. It was done on the centrestand.

Ok - for someone who hasnt much of a clue about bikes, this float thing, is it something I can try to do at home. I have the Clymer manual for the bike in the house.

Comment

It's more than likely the o-rings on the float seats. On the homepage there is a section on carb cleanup with photos.

Comment

It helps if you tell users what make and model of bike you have. Everyone here will assume you are talking about some kind of GS model, but even those have differences between models.

Comment

Originally posted by garyh
                    i'm not daft enough to check it on the sidestand as I know all the oil would run to the side of the engine. It was done on the centrestand.
                    Ok, but you did say that oil was pouring out of the carb overflow tubes. I had to ask.

Comment

Hi - I did above in an earlier post, its a 1982 GS 650 GT

Comment

Working...
                      X