Wiring new start switch - ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring new start switch - ideas?

I'm trying to wire a new start switch into my KZ and I am having issues with it. I thought the best idea would be to use wire terminals but as soon as I tried to put the thing back together, the terminals fell off. My next idea is to solder two short lengths of wire to the switch and connect them to the bike's wiring using crimp connectors. Anyone got a better idea?

Note: The products linked above closely represent the products I am using but may not be exactly the same.

first of all that particular switch is AC 3A 250 VAC

It will fail eventualy ,,

use a dc pushbutton like that if you can, that can handle something like 5 amps.

take a piece of wire at least 20 gage or 18 gage , tin the tips of the wires , make a hook in them, hook each wire on to each pole of the switch and then solder them on , use pliers to squish the pointy parts down, then use some heatshrink over the soldered wires so the solder joint will have some strength.

terminals will loosen up with vibration,

use a multimeter and check how much current it takes when you start the bike,, just hook it up so that you can see how much is being drawn when the solemoid is is powerd and get a switch that can handle more than that

good luck

Comment

Thanks, MechaniX. Anyone else got any other ideas?

Comment

Remove the heavy gauge cable from the starter relay to the starter motor when you do Mekanix' test. This way you can hold the button for a long time while taking your readings without the motorcycle starting/vibrating etc.

The push button will only have to handle the small current needed to operate the starter relay as the relay copes with the high amps needed to run the starter motor.

I'd use the suggested solder/connector solution and a DC button

Comment

Originally posted by MekaniX
          first of all that particular switch is AC 3A 250 VAC

It will fail eventualy ,,

use a dc pushbutton like that if you can, that can handle something like 5 amps.

take a piece of wire at least 20 gage or 18 gage , tin the tips of the wires , make a hook in them, hook each wire on to each pole of the switch and then solder them on , use pliers to squish the pointy parts down, then use some heatshrink over the soldered wires so the solder joint will have some strength.

terminals will loosen up with vibration,

use a multimeter and check how much current it takes when you start the bike,, just hook it up so that you can see how much is being drawn when the solemoid is is powerd and get a switch that can handle more than that

good luck
          Ratings for DC switch current capacities are usually double the AC rating. You should be fine. The only current the switch has to handle is the current through the starter relay. Quick disconnect terminals should work fine if properly crimped. Use the proper tool and they won't fall off.

Comment

I used an old pair of wire strippers that I've used to crimp wires before w/o issue. Perhaps I didn't do it right this time? Another issure is trying to work in such a tight space where there is 0° in which to move. I think I'm gonna try to get my buddy to work on it this weekend and see what he can do with it.

Comment

Working...
            X