Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced Front Sprocket... I can't get the lock washer on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced Front Sprocket... I can't get the lock washer on!

Hi, I have a 1978 GS550, i replaced the front sprocket with a new stock 15 tooth, upon trying to put the lock washer back on i find out the new sprocket is wider, so I can't put the lock washer on. I know the lock washer holds the nut in place will the shaft spins, can i not use the washer or is that dangerous? what can i do?

Thanks,
    Devin
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2006, 09:55 PM. Reason: .

Did you get the right sprocket?

Comment

You bought the wrong sprocket. You'll have to get a genuine Suzuki part or something that's the same thickness.
      Whatever you do, DO NOT run the bike without that lockdown washer. The sprockets are infamous for loosening up even when correctly torqued but the washer stops them from moving more than maybe 1/32". You'll do some real damage if that sprocket came off.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

1978 GS550 Front Sprocket Replacement Troubles

Thanks guys for the help. I guess i'm returning the sprocket then.

Comment

Just another thought. You DID install the new one facing the right way? If you reverse some sprockets, they don't sit well due to a recess or design on one side. If yours has the three Phillips screws holding a plate to the sprocket, they should face out. I've seen the seller reverse this (for what reason I don't know) and it causes fit problems.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

no there aren't any designs on the sprocket it has the same thickness on both sides and no screw holes it's made of carbonized steel... i've taken it back and gotten a different sprocket which fits with the lockwasher.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X