550's - 8 or 16 valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550's - 8 or 16 valves?

I'm shopping for a 550 for my wife. I've read that the later models were a 16 valve motor. Any other significant changes to the motors? Will one last better than the other? Thanks.

From what I've heard both are super reliable. The 4-valve will give you more balls though.

Comment

The two valve engine uses a roller bearing crank the later engine the TSCC or twin swirl combustion chamber engine uses a plain bearing crank. The carbs are also different. I'll check on the years each was manufactured, post later. The 4 valve engine isn't that much quicker then the two :twisted: . Oh, the TSCC has an oil cooler too.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
        I'll check on the years each was manufactured, post later.
        Much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in "standard" bikes. If it started to look like a sportbike (lower bars, rearset pegs), or if it's a "L" model, it doesn't hold as much interest for me. Not to offend anyone of course, but we all have our own ergonomic and styling preferences.

Comment

They started the 4 valve in 1980, and the TSCC in 83, I believe. The TSCC also had those messed up double carbs which I hear people complaining about, so I guess those are to be avoided.

The regular GS550 doesn't look sporty or anything, the GS550 Katana does. I'm not sure what the L means, except that the fuel tank is smaller (touring edition, riiiiight). Mine look like a plain bike from that era, nothing special. And that's how I like it

Comment

The gs 550's 83 and up look like sportbikes most have a half fairing in the front but the EFE has a full faring over the engine, the bars are low and your legs are somewhat tucked. The L models if i remember are the Katanas but someone else please correct me if i am wrong. I think you may be interested in the 82 and down models they have a nice classic look and i hear they are tougher than my EFE. the newer bikes are a four in line with a double cam while the older is i think a twin. there is a great description in the history homepage on this site.

Comment

Working...
            X