Clutch Hub Problems GS1100ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Hub Problems GS1100ex

The Clutch Basket on my 1981 GS1100 with all new parts still doesnt seem right. Is it normal for the Hub to have some end-play? I dont have any radial movement up and down but there is some axial movement of the hub. I have replaced all the washers, spacers, bearings, pump drive gear and installed an APE clutch basket, inner hub and new nut and washer but it still has some play. Is it normal for the beast to be this way?

Is the new nut a stock new nut or an APE.

I asked the same question a few years back and the consensus seemed to be a tad bit of movement was ok.

On the 1150 they specify three different size shims behind the basket, I had to swap one out because of too much slop.

I guess 1100's don't have them.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

It is a new stock nut. I dont see any shims in the diagrahms for the GS1100 and have wondered if there should be. I guess that I will have to try and see if the extra play plays out to be a problem when I run it. Thanks for the response Turk.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukimegs1100
        The Clutch Basket on my 1981 GS1100 with all new parts still doesnt seem right. Is it normal for the Hub to have some end-play? I dont have any radial movement up and down but there is some axial movement of the hub. I have replaced all the washers, spacers, bearings, pump drive gear and installed an APE clutch basket, inner hub and new nut and washer but it still has some play. Is it normal for the beast to be this way?
        I just replaced my clutch plates. When I did, I observed what I felt to be some "excessive rock" in my outer basket assembly (about .050"). Unfortunately there is no spec to diagnose "play". I did not notice any excessive wear in the needle bearing, or the bushing. I did however notice some wear on the faces of the large bronze slotted thrust washer. I have a new one on order, and when I have everything in front of me I will measure the difference in the 2 washers, and post up my findings. I think replacing that thrust washer will rid my basket of the excessive play. I also talked to my buddy Jay who is a Suzuki tech, and he stated that there is supposed to be a small amount of play in the basket.

Comment

Working...
        X