Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100 Repair manual

I picked up a 1982 gs1100 and I plan on breaking in down to the frame
    and removing the motor ,I have owned othere bikes in the past and this is my first GS so its kinda new to me . I plan on painting the frame and panles/tank but I was hoping someone could tell me the best all around manual for this year bike , I need to get ASAP
    thanks ROBERT G

If it's an eight-valve model (G, GL, GK, shaft drive, round camshaft caps at the top sides of the engine) I think your only choices are the Clymer manual and the Suzuki factory repair manual. I have the Clymer and it's okay (though it does have a few misprints), but the factory manual would be more complete.

If it's a sixteen-valve model (square camshaft caps at the top sides of the engine), then the Haynes manual is a better choice.

(Has anyone seen a Haynes manual for the GS1100 eight-valve models? I've only seen them for the 16-valve types)
    Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I have all three that I know of, Haynes, Clymer and the Suzuki Factory Manual. I find the Clymer to be crapola, the Haynes decent and the factory manual great. If you only get one, get the factory manual and whatever supplements for your model. The Clymer I don't even know where it is, but I use the factory and Haynes at the same time.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I own the Clymer and the Factory Rep. Manual I use both, the first for quick reference and the latter for deep fixings.
        What ever you do with your 1100 let us know, I plan to do the same with it. I bought it to learn about bikes and now I am looking to buy a Goldwing but will keep my GS as a project bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          I have all three that I know of, Haynes, Clymer and the Suzuki Factory Manual. I find the Clymer to be crapola, the Haynes decent and the factory manual great. If you only get one, get the factory manual and whatever supplements for your model. The Clymer I don't even know where it is, but I use the factory and Haynes at the same time.

I do this same thing for every bike I own. I get a factory manual, a Haynes and a Clymer except in my case for the GS1000 the Clymer is good and the Haynes is crappy. The factory one always seems best but like I say, I like to get all three or even more if you can find them. They vary per bike and model year. There is information in all of them that is unique to each manual. What one covers so so, another will cover in detail, etc... Investing in documentation is not expensive, it's priceless!
          Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2006, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X