Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires: Bias, Radial, Pressure, Compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires: Bias, Radial, Pressure, Compound?

What are the advantages of bias or radial? It seems to be the consensus that we should run a higher pressure that what is printed under the seat. Comments?

I am running Bridgestone Spitfire now but I'm not pleased with the tread life (5K). I am also getting a lot of wondering on grooved surfaces. Is this caused by tread pattern, compound or both?

It could be both, could be weak fork springs, lot of different things

Comment

If you are asking specifically about your 1100GL, your rims are not wide enough to safely handle radials.

Because of their more "forgiving" sidewalls, they need rims that are MUCH wider than what comes on our bikes. The rear wheel on my 850GL is only 2.75 inches wide. I suspect that yours is about the same, but most likely not any wider than 3.0 inches. If you look at bikes that are running radials you will typically find a 5 inch rim on there. You probably could fit a radial on there, and even get the bead to seat, but I don't think the squishy wobble of an improperly-supported tire would be very confidence-inspiring.

Pressure? I don't have much experience with pressures on the GSs, but on my Kawasaki Voyager 1300 and my GoldWing 1500, I run the front just a bit above recommended pressure for 2-up constant high-speed use, and the rear at the maximum printed on the sidewall. Mileage on them runs about 17-20,000, so it can't be too far off.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My tire review:
        Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

I run the 491s at 38-40psi rear and 36 psi front. They are a very heavy duty tire and seem to handle best with a bit more pressure.

Most other tires, including the 404s, I run at about 36psi rear and 32-34 front. I experiment with pressures a bit to see what "feels" best. It's not scientific, and I have a hard time describing the difference, but that's what I do.

FWIW, my bike is a GS850G, and I'm a rather large humanoid who rides fast and corners hard.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X