Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover gasket replacement

hi... 1981 GS1000G here.
    Replacing stator cover gasket and there's a rubber grommet holding the wires in place that runs under the gasket. It's a bit damaged, and doesn't seem to fit in it's cove real well. Is this a problem? Does oil need to stay out of the small chamber it's blocking? And is there a way to use some sort of silicone to seal it?

Also,,, any tips on this gasket replacement would reall help this rookie! thanks

It does need to be oil tight. Get some black silicon & fill in the gaps, trick just put the cover on loose with a piece of match book on either side of the plug, let the silicon cure overnight Then install the gasket & tighten the cover
    The gasket does not need any sealer, make sure ALL of the old gasket is removed

Comment

Originally posted by david
      hi... 1981 GS1000G here.
      Replacing stator cover gasket and there's a rubber grommet holding the wires in place that runs under the gasket. It's a bit damaged, and doesn't seem to fit in it's cove real well. Is this a problem? Does oil need to stay out of the small chamber it's blocking? And is there a way to use some sort of silicone to seal it?

Also,,, any tips on this gasket replacement would reall help this rookie! thanks
      If I remember correctly you will also need to disconnect the electrical junction of the stator, and pull the whole length of wire out. You need to feed the stator harness through a section of the gasket for correct installation.

Comment

thanks! I'll try the silicon. It's little tricks like this that really help us beginners. Would it need to be high heat silicon? and would that adhere to the metal casing ok?
        Also yes, I did discover that the stator wire does have to be disconnected and fed thru the gasket. thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by david
          thanks! I'll try the silicon. It's little tricks like this that really help us beginners. Would it need to be high heat silicon? and would that adhere to the metal casing ok?
          Also yes, I did discover that the stator wire does have to be disconnected and fed thru the gasket. thanks again!
          I highly recommend Permatex "Ultra Black" RTV. It's my sealant of choice. Seals virtually any surface or material, AND is easy to remove if need be. (and it's black, so it looks clean and proffesional. This is especially nice if your on of those "black engine guys"

Comment

Working...
          X