Fork brace install advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork brace install advice?

I just got (finally....) my fork brace from LegendsMC (ebay name) which I think is Legends Motorcycles out of CO. I'll post a review in the buyer reviews section after I've tried out the product and have all the names and such handy.

Anyway...

I got a Daytona fork brace for my GS750EF and I wanted to know if anyone had a specific procedure for installation. If not I'm going to do something like this:

Loosen the existing OE "U" brace bolts under the fender.
    Loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts.
    Double check the fork tube height in the upper.
    Evenly tighten the OE fork brace.
    Tighten the Daytona part.
    Tighten the upper and lower triple.

Take it for a spin!

I'm not really sure about the loosening and tightening of the tree...just seems like I read that someplace at some point. I'd think the tubes wouldn't matter since the lower legs can turn around on them just fine.

Ideas?

/\/\ac

Nothing? Ok, I guess I'll have at it!

/\/\ac

P.s. Why is this board on GST? (Four hours ahead of EST)

Comment

That sounds like a good procedure. When I remove the front wheel I loose one of the tubes, tighten the axle, then secure the tube. Since you are not removing a wheel there should be no reason to loosen a triple.

Comment

I bought a daytona for my 1000.... it fit right on the boots. I didn't have to loosen up anything, just bolted it on. Is yours different?
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I think the reason for the loosening of the triple tree clamps was to make it a little easier to get the center piece that jams between the fork tubes in place. If you don't feel any binding after the intall you are probably OK. If you feel some binding you might have to shim the brace a little so there isn't any binding.

Comment

Loosen the wheel, keep the brace bolts loose and make sure to pump the forks a few good times. Then tighten everything up and take it out. If it wobbles when you go hands free, remember it may be tire balance. I didn't feel any wobbles until the second I mounted the brace, then bad speed wobbles. It amplified the wobble due to my unbalanced front tire.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Now that I think back, I did have the front wheel and fender off when I installed it. I remember now having to spread the forks a tad to get the center piece in. I also had to slot the fender holes about 1/8" to lower the fender down to make it fit.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't had a chance to get out to the garage to finish the install yet....rain/cool here anyway when I've had the time to ride.

Anyway as soon as I got the part I did a trial fit as this was a replacement for the first part they sent which was the wrong size. This one fit between the fork legs with just a slight tap of my hand. I don't think I was spreading the forks at all, thousandths of an inch at most.

This was with the axel and OE fork brace/fender support all torqued down to spec already so I don't think I'll have much problem with it. I'll post back here once I get a chance to try it on the road.

/\/\ac

Comment

Fork Brace Wanted for my GS1100E

Do somebody Know where i can find a fork brace (tubular type) for my GS1100E?

Comment

i think the best way to install a fork brace is take the springs out of the forks, first, then install the brace. tighen it up. then move teh forks and wheel up and down to see if you fell any binding or if it feels diffrent from before you intalled the brace. basically you want your brace installed so you can even tell it's on the forks when they move. any drag or binding is bad.

the daytona brace is paticularly bad because there is little or no adjustment in the middle.

-ryan
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post

the daytona brace is paticularly bad because there is little or no adjustment in the middle.

-ryan
                      This is also the reason the Daytona is so good, it's as stiff as can be. Good for handeling, bad for setup and adjustment.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        This is also the reason the Daytona is so good, it's as stiff as can be. Good for handeling, bad for setup and adjustment.
                        I like mine. Nice, firm ride and feels real solid when turning.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                        X