Handlebar Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar Issue

question.....Has anyone installed handlebars( drag, euro etc...) and been entirely happy with the change? I'm looking for some new bars, these 82 GS850 bars are blah and not all that comfortable.

I just installed the Bikemaster Euro bars on my 850, and I like them fine so far. They really change your riding position a lot. I used to find myself back against the step in the seat and still sitting bolt upright. Not any more: I'm now sitting in the front part of the seat leaning forward. It definitely takes some getting used to.

Comment

I have put the Euro bars on my 750L. I love the new riding position, much more comfortable on the wrists, and much more aggressive feeling in the corners. Best 20 bucks I have spent on the bike!

Comment

I ditched my old L bars for some bikemaster superbikes before I even got it back on the road. Im a taller guy (6' 2") so I like being laid out on the bike more. A month or so ago I rode 200 miles of twisties (5 hours straight with only fuel stops) and had no pains whatsoever.

It goes without saying that Id recommend these bars to anybody. :-D

Comment

First thing everyone changes, I think.

The bars on my 850G are a bend called "Daytona", which puts me at a perfect angle -- at about 60-80mph, there's no weight on my wrists. I'm 6'1", if that helps paint the picture.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by GSstiny
            I ditched my old L bars for some bikemaster superbikes before I even got it back on the road. Im a taller guy (6' 2") so I like being laid out on the bike more. A month or so ago I rode 200 miles of twisties (5 hours straight with only fuel stops) and had no pains whatsoever.

It goes without saying that Id recommend these bars to anybody. :-D
            Got a pic of those bars mounted? I'm 6' 1" and I find the handles are to close together on my L causing me to shrug my shoulders inadvertently every time I ride.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyKool
              question.....Has anyone installed handlebars( drag, euro etc...) and been entirely happy with the change? I'm looking for some new bars, these 82 GS850 bars are blah and not all that comfortable.
              I installed Bikemaster "Superbike" bend bars. You can get them from any dealer that carries Tucker Rocky Distributing. They are the best $19.95 you will EVER spend on a GS as far as comfort ergonomics !

PS: get a set of K&S anti-vibe bar ends, the second best $12 you will ever spend on comfort ergonomics.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                I installed Bikemaster "Superbike" bend bars. You can get them from any dealer that carries Tucker Rocky Distributing. They are the best $19.95 you will EVER spend on a GS as far as comfort ergonomics !

PS: get a set of K&S anti-vibe bar ends, the second best $12 you will ever spend on comfort ergonomics.
                I was thinking about those bar ends, but didn't really know if they were that much better. Might just have to try a set now.

Comment

6'6" rider here. I put superbike bars on a few months ago and love em! I was thinking about clubman bars eventually, but im not sure now.. these are so comfortable.

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of my euro bars

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                      First thing everyone changes, I think.
                      I think it is...
                      I cast my vote for the Bikemaster euro bend (superbike bend) as well. Best mod you can do for under $20.00.
                      Getcha some new grips when you swap 'em too.8-)

Comment

Might matter if you are a geezer or a young whipper-snapper...

I also wanted to switch out the orig apehanger bars on my 81 GS450L & went w/$20 Bikemaster Superbike bars. Definitely a more aggressive stance & w/raising the forks in the triple-tree makes the bike more fun to drive through the turns BUT less fun for long, straightish highway time. Also, didn't find the "taking a squat" stance that comfortable for the neck & back (but this could be an age thing). I'm going to give Bikemaster LTD Bend bars a shot next week.

Here's what the bike looks like now:

You'll have to deal w/cable routing going to short bars too. I haven't really tried routing the cables better (taking off seat/tank/etc.) because I wasn't sure I'd be keeping the superbike bars (I'm not).
                        You'll have extra front brake line to deal with:

and might have to get creative w/the clutch & throttle cables:

Going w/less $$$ replacements also meant I had to drill the holes for the 2 control anchor pins (no biggie, but need to measure estimate well!).

Good luck

(edit: Oops, forgot - Also your mirrors may not work so well w/the bar change.... With the shorter L stalks, my mirrors give a great view of my arms... You'll see in one photo that I tried to get somewhat of a usable view by putting on a blind-spot mirror... Will also consider bending the mirror stalks after I settle on which bars I'm sticking with...)
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the pics

Exactly what I had in mind I like the euros but I'm going for the bikemasters they look sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyKool
                            Exactly what I had in mind I like the euros but I'm going for the bikemasters they look sweet.
                            BikeMaster is the brand - Superbike is one type of bend, Euro is another type of bend (they are very close if you look at the specs.

The pics are small on this site: http://store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html but they give all the measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
                              BikeMaster is the brand - Superbike is one type of bend, Euro is another type of bend (they are very close if you look at the specs.

The pics are small on this site: http://store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html but they give all the measurements.
                              Here is a link to the Tucker Rocky catalog page that has the Bikemaster bars, and the measurements:

Comment

Working...
                              X