Rear Tire seems to turn when using rear brake, or accellerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire seems to turn when using rear brake, or accellerating

Hi there. The subject line basically says it all. I have got a newer tire (500km on it), and newer rear wheel bearings too (about a year old maybe..).

I haven't removed the entire linkage for the rear swingarm, but I have inspected it, and see no cracks in any welds, nor any loose bolts.

Does this sound like it may just be some of the bearings in the linkage?

also, any idea how many sets of bearings there are in the linkage?

thanks

Dave
    rongant@rogers.com
    86/83 GS750es

What do you mean by turn? Turn the bike to one side or another? Like its twisting?

Comment

sorry about that...
      what it feels like, is as if the rear tire is not staying straight, or as if the axle is loose.
      I checked the alignment of the rear tire, and it's perfectly even and straight, and it's tightened down too.

when i use only the REAR brake, the back tire feels like it turns to the right, forcing the bike to jerk a little bit to the left.
      when I accellerate, the back tire feels like it turns to the left, forcing the bike to jerk a bit to the right.

It almost feels like as if it had rear wheel steering...
      does that help clarify anything guys/girls?

Comment

Sounds almost like worn out swing-arm bearings

Comment

Originally posted by 83'GK
          Sounds almost like worn out swing-arm bearings
          I would have to assume that there are bearings OR bushings at every pivot point in the rear swingarm suspension linkage... would this assumption be correct?

Also, as per the previous comment, is it common for the swing arm bearings to go by themselves, or would the rest of the bushings/bearings in the swingarm linkage likely need replacement?

Thanks all!

Dave

Comment

I had the same problem and it took me forever to fix it. The previous owner had not installed one of the inside axel spacers. what happened was if i tightened the rear axel tight enough to hold it from moving it would bind the wheel bearings. and if it was not tight enough then the wheel would move when i braked hard. I would check a parts diagram against the way you have it installed on the bike

Comment

Check the spacers and make sure they are ALL there and in the right place.

Comment

I have had the bike for about 4 years, and have only noticed the issue within the last few months (this spring, and last fall).

I have never changed, or left anything out to my knowledge.
                My chain is within spec for slack, and it's only about a year old.

I am hoping it's just the swingarm bearings as that is something I could do in a weekend or even an evening I'm guessing...

thanks!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X