are they ruined??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are they ruined??

Man am I a moron. I was cleaning some 34mm Mikunis in a solution called "greased lightning" and forgot to take the carbs out last night. When I got them out this morning all the electroplated brass (or whatever is coating the slides and needles) was kaput. The #$#$ ate the coating!!! I thought this stuff was a soap/detergent solution and that it would be safe for metals. Wrong!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know for sure........are the slides ruined?? Will the loss of that very tiny thin layer on the slides cause them not to respond to the vacuum??

Will I need to go ahead and put them on the bike to find out or am I wasting my time if I do this??

Iput required!

Originally posted by dtkid
    Man am I a moron. I was cleaning some 34mm Mikunis in a solution called "greased lightning" and forgot to take the carbs out last night. When I got them out this morning all the electroplated brass (or whatever is coating the slides and needles) was kaput. The #$#$ ate the coating!!! I thought this stuff was a soap/detergent solution and that it would be safe for metals. Wrong!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know for sure........are the slides ruined?? Will the loss of that very tiny thin layer on the slides cause them not to respond to the vacuum??

Will I need to go ahead and put them on the bike to find out or am I wasting my time if I do this??

Iput required!
    Never heard of that stuff. You also are NOT supposed to dip the slide assemblies in carb solution, as it destroys the rubber diaphram. When you dip your carbs in industrial carb cleaner you only supposed to leave them in for about 6 hours. I have a stock set of slides I will sell you if you need them.

Comment

Thanks, but these slides are from a set (2) carbs from a Yammy XS650. They are different from our GS Mikunis.

I would never leave the slides in carb cleaner but I thought this stuff was just a strong soap. Tough way to learn about soap.

Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
        When you dip your carbs in industrial carb cleaner you only supposed to leave them in for about 6 hours.

The berryman's says 30 minutes, and I've been doing them for an hour. Is it safe to go the full 6 hours for the carb bodies?

Comment

Hi,

Aren't BS34 the ones that fits on 80-84 XS ? I thought the pre-80 were BS38 ..
          Anyway, if your diaphragms are good and it is only a matter of the anodized coating I would sure put together the carbs and see if the piston-diaphragms move slowly ( raise them with your finger and see how slow they close ). If it works I would use them.. And maybe fog the engine before winter storage so the carbs slides won't rust .

I might have 2 BS38 laying around somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
            The berryman's says 30 minutes, and I've been doing them for an hour. Is it safe to go the full 6 hours for the carb bodies?
            I went 24 hours on mine

I don't think it was Berryman's, but it was a bucket type carb dip. Maybe the one I got was weaker than Berrynam's proper.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
              I've have a Mukuni VM34 I forgot about for a year left in one of those dip cans. I pulled it out, installed a rebuild kit, mounted it on a CZ400 MX, and she started right up and ran great. I sold the bike with it on. Granted there were no rubber or plastic components involved, but the stuff sold now days is fairly weak and not prone to eat metals.

YMMV

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X