Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GL 82' Power to Starter?

GS650GL 1982
    P.s. I know very little about working on bikes this is my learning project.

Hello once again, Thanks a lot to all of you who has helped me move along with this project.

First of all, I have a new battery, the starter was tested and working great, the solenoid is new I just bought it from lows. I also disengaged the clutch safety and I dont think there is a kick stand safety on this bike?

The problem is that when i push the starter button the solenoid clicks and the starter motor will make a small noise if you touch it you can fell it flinch alittle but only every other time.

I have tested with the volt meter,
    The line that comes off the solenoid, has power when i push the starter botton
    However when I put the volt meter on the cable from the starter to the solenoid I have no reading at all when i push the start button, and I am not sure If i am suppose to? If I am what do i need to do to troubleshoot it? Could the solenoid be bad even though it is new?

If not could you please give me some suggestions as to what to look at next the Claymer book doesnt seem to be anymore help, so maybe it is some very stupid thing I am missing. Thank you very much in advance!

starter

when you push the start button and the solenoid clicks there should be 12volts going from the solenoid to the starter. the solen could still be bad, If you take a jump cable from the positive post of the battery and touch the starter post the starter should turn if not bad starter provided you have good grounds .

Comment

Yes i have done that and the starter turned the starter works and has been tested by my local auto zone as well... when i push the start button i do not have 12v going to the starter.. Is there anyting else that could cause it becuse like i said i just bought the solenoid.

Comment

The small wire/connection on the soloniod DO you have 12V when the starter button is pushed ??

Comment

Yes, The wire coming out of the harness to the solenoid I do get 12v when i push the start button but if i unplug the wire from the harness and put the tester on the wire coming off the solenoid i do not get 12v. unless it is plugged into the wire coming off the main harness (yellow/green).

Comment

starter solenoid

sorry for the late reply was away, step back the solenoid has two circuits, one from the button to make it click which you have the second is the power supply direct from the battery which connects to the starter wire when the solenoid engages or clicks. might have missed it but you did not say you had 12v supply to the solenoid all the time even when bike is shut off. this supplys the starter power .

Comment

I am not sure I know what u mean? A wire from the + on the battery connects directly to the solenoid. Here is a pic of my setup, hopefully this will help.

The Red wire labeled battery connects directly to the battery
              The wire labeled starter connects to the starter
              The small red wire connects to the yellow/green wire that connects to the right hand controlls
              The starter relay ground wire connects to the bottom bolt on the solenoid as shown in my claymer manual.

I get 12v off the red wire( that goes to the yellow/green) when i have the starter button pressed and 0v when it is not.
              I get very little power from the black wire that goes to the starter when the button is pressed
              Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM.

Comment

It might be time for a genuine Suzuki starter relay instead of one from Lowes..

They cost $50 new from Bikebandit, but they're dirt cheap on eBay ($10 down to $.01). It appears that the same starter relay was used for almost all the GS bikes, so you can search one for a GS450, 550, 650, 850, 1100, etc. Double check the part number for one you might buy on ebay, use the diagrams at http://www.alpha-sport.com/suzuki_parts.htm or http://www.bikebandit.com

Comment

Well i have two of them actually both said they were working when i bought them and they have the exact same results as this one does.

They all give me the same resualt it seems that is why I went and bought this one from lowe's since everyone was saying they were just the same.

Comment

Using a screwdriver or wrench, arc across the two copper studs, the one with the red (battery) wire & the one with the black (starter) wire. Don't be alarmed, there should be sparks. If the starter turns, the problem is the solenoid, if the starter doesn't turn, it should be the starter or starter ground.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

or black starter wire
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Solved Thanks Everyone!
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2006, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X