Can't find first gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find first gear

Put a new Vesrah clutch set in and went 3 new stock springs, 3 heavy. It's awesome. I've only had the thing streetable since january or so, and godamn have I been missing all the fun! Apparently it all starts at 6 grand, and thats where the old clutch always let go. It's like a brand new bike.
    Anyway, I've had a few shift issues since I put in the new clutch. A few times I've missed going from 4th to 5th. It lands inbetween and takes a few clicks to get it all the way up there. The persistent problem, however, is not engaging 1st. It happens every 5th stop or so, and usually I can roll the thing a few feet and it will engage. Today, though, I had to take off in 2nd.
    Also, 1-2 shifts routinely land in N territory. Does this sound like a clutch adjustment issue?

Did the clutch have NEW fiber AND metal clutch plates? Do you remember how many total plates you installed?

Hopefully your problem is just a adjustment issue.

Comment

It could be adjustment ?? I would try the stock springs !!!!

Comment

Heavy duty springs casused me some serious problems. I'll never use anything but the stockers from now on. Even when I slam through the gears at 9k rpm I don't get a hint of slip.

Anyway, it really sounds like an adjustment problem. Remember that there needs to be a certain amount of cable freeplay, or it will not engage/disengage properly.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by qslim
          Put a new Vesrah clutch set in and went 3 new stock springs, 3 heavy.
          Not to insult your intelligence, but I gotta ask, why did you do this??? Technically all you are doing is putting more load on the 3 "heavy" springs. You have 3 springs working harder than the other 3. I replaced my stock tired 17K mi clutch plates with Barnett drive plates, and stock Suzuki springs, and my clutch and transmission work perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
            Not to insult your intelligence, but I gotta ask, why did you do this??? Technically all you are doing is putting more load on the 3 "heavy" springs.
            Well, I did so at the behest of several helpful responders to previous topics of mine concerning clutch replacement. I guess you weren't one of them, but do you have any idea about the gear hunting & missed shifts?

Comment

Working...
            X