1100 Outer race swingarm bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 Outer race swingarm bearing

Any tips on how to get this thing out besides heat and a drift?

I've destroyed all the rollers, I'm tempted cut with a metal jigsaw blade.

Thanks
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Those are supposed to be pulled with a special tool from Suzuki. They can't be pushed out with any drift I have, they are supposed to be pulled using the outer casting as support. I took mine to a snowmobile shop I deal with, they had a nice bearing puller. I wouldn't suggest a Dremel tool, those mounts are critical for keeping the bike from flexing. If you do, be very careful.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You can use a blind bearing puller or a 2 jaw slide hammer puller. If you use a heat gun and heat the outside of swing arm a little then spray some WD-40 on the bearing inside sometimes the contraction of going from hot to cold will help loosen the bearing ,making it a bit easier to extract. Auto Zone will loan you the tools for a deposit fee.

Comment

I ended up going directly out to the garage after my post to try again with heat and a drift.

I had success with a 5/8" pipe from a freestanding hammock. Once I removed the rollers and their cages, I was able to angle the pipe on the inside edge of the outer race.

After a little heat, I tapped in four spots around the circumference, it popped out with ease.

Then I grabbed the new bearings, in a haste, heated up the area and tapped both bearings home with a piece of oak tongue and grove. Then I remembered the spacer.

There goes $13 down the tubes, luckily I had bought 2 other bearings 2-3 years ago but never removed them from the packaging. I thought they were the inners that ride on the rollers, but they were the rollers.

The swingarm is back on the bike. Now I have to wait for my new Dyna Coils to arrive.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
        X