GS compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS compatibility

I was wondering how compatible are the GS bikes. I've just picked up a 1979 GS 550 and it needs some work so I was hoping to grab parts and such where ever is cheapest. I've seen things such as sissy bars, speedometers etc for other years, or same year different model, or other size engines but not a large amount available on the market for my model and year. It seems like other 550's from around 77-early 80's may be pretty much the same but hate to buy anything on e-bay before I'm sure. Opinions?

Well, that question gets complicated. GS550E's share everything but wireing harness from 77-80. In in 1981 the bike became the GS550T, and then the tank mount changed. In 82 there wasn't a 550. In 83 it became the GSX550.

Though, a GS550E is a GS550E from 1977-1980. All accessories swap. All body parts swap. The only question is the rear brake setup. You can't swap drums for disks easily.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Head is spinning. What does it all mean. The 550E's are the basic flat seat, spoke wheel, no frill jobs right? This model thing is really throwing me off when looking for components.

Comment

www.suzukicycles.org is your friend.

E's are the "sport" models. the L's are the cruisers.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
          This model thing is really throwing me off when looking for components.
          I'm curious, which model do you have? I'm guessing the spoke-wheeled rear drum brake 550, not the 550E with the mag wheels and rear disc brake. There was also the 550L with the step seat.

If you go to one of the online parts suppliers who have diagrams, such as http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.html , you can compare parts numbers between years, and sometimes pick up clues from the diagrams where they'll give the year code letter for previous years that use the same parts.

For example, take a look at http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1979%20GS550/44.htm

If you look at this rear wheel for the 1979 GS550, you'll see that most of the parts have "B,C,N" next to them. B is 1979, C is 1978, N is 1977. There's a complete chart of years and models on the main GSResources site, at http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm

Finally, as far as sissy bars and other aftermarket items go: some things were "universal fit", and some weren't. KG sold an assortment of sissy bars and luggage racks, with various adapters to fit different bikes, but they made as few basic models as possible. If you can find a bike that's close to yours at a junkyard (my current sissy bar/rack came off of a Honda, if i remember right), you can often adapt things to your own bike. Exhausts and case guards are a lot tougher, due to size and bolt placement.

Comment

my model looks like this 1979 GS550E without the mag wheels. Now that I think about it this may be an example of what I was reading on this site where year doesn't match model. Guess I should check into this before going much further. I'll have to check the rear wheel when it gets back from the shop. Maybe that will solve the mystery. That brings up another question. Since this bike is titled as a 1979 if it turns out to be a 78 or somthing does anyone think it will be a future problem that I need to fix? By the way thanks as always for everyones advice and patients with a newby owner.

Comment

Josh, Sounds like you have the standard model. Somewhere in all the information on this site is an explanation for the Suzuki model designation system(?). I'm not sure if it holds true for the 550, since they were produced ealier than the 1000, but the designation to the standard 1978 GS1000 was 1000C and the E model was 1000EC. If you look at bikebandit.com, they they list all of the proper designations for each year. Just go into the OEM parts section under Suzuki and the model year. Nice to see another Colorado Suzuki here, check out the map under owners and Colorado Canyon Cruisers in the meeting place. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

77-79 550

There were basic models of the 550 from 77-79... these all had spoked wheels, the frames are nearly identical... when I checked about swing arm bearings for the spoked/drum brake and the mag/disc brake swingarms for my 1978 550 the bearing had different numbers... possibly due to spacers.. however when I swapped out the swing arms fm drum to disc.. they were nearly a perfect swap.. ( I needed the mag wheel setup when I had an issue with the drum/spoke wheel) .. I have not yet replaced the bearings from what were included with the disc swing arm... anyway the frames are the same part number within the year model.. there were some 2 disc front mags in 1979 I believe but that was just a passing notice when looking for parts.. the E models came out with mag wheels in 1978.. ( no E models in 77).. everything else is direct swap between the two... the L model has a different frame setup (notice the stepped seat)..

Hope this helps..

Joe

Comment

I have a 80 GS550E that I'm using for parts I need for my other bikes. If you need any parts, let me know.

Comment

matterri,
                    Thanks for the offer. As this project progresses I may need to take you up on it. Whats the best way to contact you?

Josh

Comment

Working...
                    X