Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning carb: Round piece fell out. Big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning carb: Round piece fell out. Big deal?

I was rinsing my #1 carb after chem-dipping it overnight. When I pulled out the carb from my bucket of water, I noticed that this round piece of metal was sitting in the bottom of the bucket.

I have already dipped and cleaned my other 3 carbs and this round piece never came out of them. I could see that it was a press fit type of fitting, so I simply pressed it back in with my finger. It fits pretty snug and I know that there is an o-ring that goes between it and the float bowl gasket.

My question is this: Should I be worried that this fell out? Will it cause problems? I couldn't see this piece on the carb schematics which leads me to believe that it shouldn't be falling out.

Jake

That seems to be some kind of filler or spacer. I don't think it has any real purpose other than filling that space. The gasket will go over it anyways. I wouldn't worry too much over it but if it falls out all the time you might want to put a little loctite on it so its stays put. BTW, I notice the choke "straw" has been drilled out on your carb. On my carbs that hole is much smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
      BTW, I notice the choke "straw" has been drilled out on your carb. On my carbs that hole is much smaller.
      Really? I don't have any experience with these carbs, so I'll have to take a look at the other 3 and see if they are all like that. Will it affect anything? Does this make the bike run even richer with the choke on? What is the benefit of drilling this out?

Are you sure that your 550 and my 850 have the exact same carbs? I can only assume that if they are the same, you have fewer of them...possibly two.

Thanks,
      Jake

Comment

They are the same CV carbs but different size and getting. It may be totally normal to have a wider hole for your model bike. Maybe someone with an 850 can advise.

Comment

Mine has a much smaller inlet too... Woudn't having a choke tube that wide basically negate the point of a choke?

Anyway, that for future reference that little rubber doo-dad should probably be removed before chem dipping since the chem dip eats right through that stuff. I forgot to remove it in one of mine and it was fine, but it was also only dipped for an hour, not overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
            Mine has a much smaller inlet too... Woudn't having a choke tube that wide basically negate the point of a choke?
            I went down and looked at all 4 carbs. They all have the same size choke tube. I didn't see any evidence of drill marks on the inside. I'm not sure that having a larger choke tube will do a whole lot. When a person pushes the choke to "off", that tube shouldn't be sucking anymore fuel since the starter plunger should seal it off, right?

Originally posted by J_C
            Anyway, that for future reference that little rubber doo-dad should probably be removed before chem dipping since the chem dip eats right through that stuff. I forgot to remove it in one of mine and it was fine, but it was also only dipped for an hour, not overnight.
            I'm not sure what "rubber doo-dad" you are referring to. If you are talking about the "round piece" that the topic is about, that is metal not rubber. As far as I can tell, I removed all rubber components.

Jake

Comment

Hrm. Mines rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
                Hrm. Mines rubber.
                That leads me (and I'm sure you too) to believe that our carbs are different. It makes sense since you are rolling with an 1100.

I'm sure someone with a post-79 GS850 will chime in and answer these questions.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                X