Thoughts on Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Timing

On my '78 750 there're the "|F1*4|" and "|F2*3|" marks on the rotating timing plate beneath the breaker plate. Do the two vertical lines in each case denote the permissible ranges for timing? Currently my timing is set right in the middle of the "|F1*4|" and "|F2*3|" marks, centered between those vertical lines which act like a border. (This was set with dynamic timing)

Is the "|T" mark for static timing?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2006, 01:33 PM.

Hope this helps (scroll down):
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

So if I hook up a inductive timing light and crank the motor, where should the mark be?
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Should line up with the T mark F is full advance as I remember If set between the two your timing is advanced OK as long as it does not ping

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Should line up with the T mark F is full advance as I remember If set between the two your timing is advanced OK as long as it does not ping
          Are you sure? I set my timing as per the Dyna instructions when I originally put it on. Just for the heck of it, I hooked up my timing light to it last night. I put the inductive clamp on #1 wire and cranked the engine. Mine, too was between the |f1-4| marks. I did not run the bike (I have no gas tank), just cranked it.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
          X