No 2 cylinder not running when choke is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No 2 cylinder not running when choke is on

Last I had the carbs on my '81 gsx1100ex cleaned, the rubber plugs in the pilot system replaced, and carbs synchronised - ran perfectly.

I noticed the other morning that when I stated the bike (with choke) in the morning no 2 cylinder was not firing (header pipe was cold), but once underway she was running on all four. What I have since find out is that when I push the choke in no.2 starts (pipe gets hot). Bike runs perfectly without choke. Doesn't make sense unless the choke is blocking the flow of fuel, does that sound possible?

I plan to have a look at the choke system on the weekend so I guess I'm looking for some ideas of what else to look at.

Thanks

First make sure that the lincage that pulls the "choke" rod out is conected and is pulling it. it more than likly is, what more than likly is wrong is that the jet for the enrichener on number two (choke) is clogged and it is letting air through but not gas, causing the mixture to lean out to the point that it will not ignite.
    take apart carb number two and clean out the enrichner circut.

Comment

ditto check carb choke circuit

Comment

Thanks for the replies, however, I pulled my carbs apart and removed the choke plunger, cv cap, and slide (did not remove float bowl). All appeared to be spotless but I liberally sprayed carb cleaner in every oriface I could see. Reassembled and started bike - still the same, so I'm guessing if I have a fuel blockage it would be from underneath the carb? i.e I have to remove the float bowl and have a go there.

Thanks
        Anthony

Comment

there is a fuel passage for the choke circuit in the float bowl, check the brass tube that protrudes from the main body of the carb

Comment

Cheers mate, thought that might of been the case. Just wasn't to keen and removing the bowl in case I damaged the gasket-cannot get another on a Sunday afternoon. Job for next weekend since this one is over.

Comment

Working...
            X