Carb touch-ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb touch-ups?

After the installation of a new oil pan to repair stripped out drain plug, I finally got to take my 83 GS 750ES out for a real ride! The bike has a Supertrapp 4 into 1, and a K&N OEM style filter.
    Once it is warmed up, the idle is fine, and it likes to howl once it gets above 4500 rpm. However, it does seem a lkittle sluggish in between. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jets

Do you have stock jets? With the 4-1 and the K&N you'll be running lean with the stock jets. Try lowering the jet needle one notch(actually raising the needle) This will help the leaness with 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. You judge what circuit your running on with throttle position, not RPMs. If your pulling well with full throttle then your main jet might be ok.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I guess I know what I'm doing in the rain this week-end...

Comment

If you don't have adjustable needles, you can shim with tiny stainless washers. Does it pull well at wide open throttle?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yes, it does. Thanks for the tips on the washers. It still has the stock carbs, so I guess they should be adjustable...

Comment

Working...
          X