Braided Lines Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braided Lines Question

Ok, so I'm going to start off by saying I am an idiot when it comes to being a mechanic, I can do simple stuff but everything else is done by a friend that knows what he is doing. I have another buddy that works for a major company that can get me a deal on steel brake lines and anything else that I want to upgrade.

My question is what parts should/can be upgraded and where should I look to find out what dimensions/lengths/fittings do I need to get the job done. I have a 1980 GS850g that I am restoring/customizing.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I have not talked to anyone about this since I just decided I would do it 5 mins. ago by looking at some of the guys posts on here. If there are any questions that I didnt ask and I should have go ahead and let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

Steel vs Rubber

Braided steel brake lines are an improvement on rubber stock because they don't flex and stiffen up your brakes.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you want to keep it original - just replace the existing lines with braided.
      The line size you want is around 3mm internal diameter and 6mm external.

If you want to improve braking a bit further, you could just get 2 lines for the front (master cylinder direct to each caliper). If you do this you will need to replace the master cylinder banjo bolt with one that can fit both lines to it (double banjo bolt).

You will need new banjos and copper "crush washers", but you should be able to re-use the bolts, unless they are corroded. All fittings are standard 10mm size.

Its well worth the trouble, as the stock brake lines are marginal at best.

Comment

Call these guys. They will set you up with everything you could want, just tell them your bike model. Thier lines and fittings are awesome.
        http://www.paragonperformance.com/
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X